Brake line flares - Shop Talk - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Brake line flares

Featured Replies

Does anyone know whether the double flares on a 3/16" brake line made by an SAE tool will work; i.e.; not leak, when used with metric fittings like the 10 mm outlets on an S30 brake master cylinder? I looked high and low online and could not find a metric flare kit.

Yes, a standard 45-degree double flare made with an SAE tool is typically compatible with metric bubble/inverted flare fittings.

Just make sure the seat on the master cylinder is compatible with the inverted flare. As long as you aren't mixing up bubble flares with inverted flares (which require different seating), the 3/16" line and 10mm fitting will seal correctly if the flare is high quality. If you want to check out some games while waiting for parts, visit https://reef-spin2.com/ for a variety of options. Take your time getting that flare perfect, and it shouldn't leak.

Edited by rex_morten

  • Author

Thanks, @rex_morten , that's clearly the answer I was hoping for as a want to add a Wilwood proportioning valve, which uses 3/8-24 SAE fittings, to my car but don't yet want the expense of going "full-on Wilwood" with a new vac booster and master cylinder as well.

It seems odd to me that, because these items have to be machined after casting anyway, that Wilwood does not offer a 10 mm x 1.0 version of their all-in-one valve

image.png

yet they do offer metric versions of their single line proportioning valve (lever or knob style). I'm going to ask Wilwood about that.

image.pngimage.png

Heck, what about offering an 3/8-24 SAE male to 10 x 1 female metric adapter? Does anybody make that?

Edited by Seppi72
Added inquiry to Wilwood

Rex has the signs of an AI chatbot. Randomly popping up with specific advice on somebody's thread. Emojis. Odd comments. Look at the wedding photo posts.

They're getting "better". The ultimate goal of the AI chatbot research is to convince real humans that they are talking to a real human.

https://www.classiczcars.com/profile/45905-rex_morten/

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

I did notice that "he" only joined CZCC only a few hours ago and has made five posts, most of which are related to photos. But, at least "he" got me interested in doing a deeper dive into flare fittings and I found a very nice, 2-minute explanatory video at Belmetric (https://belmetric.com/brake-end-m10x1-0-double-bubble-flare/?).

Those adapters you’re referring to are available. I’ve seen them advertised on different sites.

16 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Rex has the signs of an AI chatbot. Randomly popping up with specific advice on somebody's thread. Emojis. Odd comments. Look at the wedding photo posts.

They're getting "better". The ultimate goal of the AI chatbot research is to convince real humans that they are talking to a real human.

https://www.classiczcars.com/profile/45905-rex_morten/

This is funny, my friend. I'm not a bot and I want to communicate. And those wedding photos I saw are really beautiful, what's the problem?

If the length is short it might be worth checking your local auto parts store for precut, preflared, prefitted brake line. I wnt to my local Oreilly Auto and they had a whole wall of different combinations in the back to choose from. Autozone carried a few also.

The straight lengths are cheap. They're in the back.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/brakes/brake-hydraulics/brake-lines/b06e09cb5226

Edited by Zed Head

  • Author

Yeah, @Patcon , that is a sweet kit. I've seen them online for a bit under $80 but I went with a kit about half as expensive as I'm likely to use it this one time and then, I suspect, it's a (small) boat anchor in my garage.

Thanks for the O'Reilly tip, @Zed Head , and I'll take a look at my local stores (O'Reilly, AutoZone, Advance Auto and NAPA) to see what's available. I have some pre-made short metric lines that I bought probably before half of the folks in this club were born and even a couple of those impossible Nissan OE strut-to-caliper S-bend ones.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.