IGNORED

Help needed ...ALAN (HS-30-H)

240znz

After 3 weeks of driving...here is the update.

Can't stop driving it...but I can now as I have found where the ugly rust monster has been hiding. So some serious work ahead with the wire wheel and the rust killer. I knew it was there but was a little suprised just how much. Typical places like rear hatch/ sills.

The list is huge of things to do but that is what you expect when you but a car that has been unloved for some 10 years. Tried to cut and polish it and the first cutter (Re-po Extra Cut) wouldn't touch it. Ended up with some 1200 wet and dry and gave it a very light sand to cut through the crap. The colour underneath is a metalic burgandy. Nice.

Polished the wheels.....came up a million bucks.

Have a clunking diff. Not too sure if it is just worn bushes (they look very perished) or the diff itself. That will have to wait as it is well done the list.

What I must say it how suprised I am with the performance of the engine. It just keeps pulling. Third gear is a dream with it just not showing any signs of struggle. Fourth is the same but it jumps out of 5th with the gas on. However, if I cruise in 5th it's OK, only if I floor it will it jump out.

So all in all, after 3 weeks......the fever is down but the excitment is not.

Viva la ZED.

240znz,

Is the rust accessable, is it one of the areas that repair sections are made for, do you have pictures yet. The Burgandy paint, how well did it come up, or did you only see a small patches of that colour. It sounds like your Zed has now found a good home, good luck with the work up and the repairs.

When you post your next group of pics, can you please post A picture of the inside of your hatch, I am interested in the soft panel that is attached across the lower area ( in trim colour), and original engine serial number detail and if possible pic of data plate's

cheers

Steve:classic:

The rust starts on the drivers side threshold (what is it called?). As this car has been left outside, the water has run off the roof down the drivers door hinge area and sat under the threshold aluminium plate. It worked its way along under this and also under the door rubber and rusted out most of the seam. Doesn't look like a major job. I'll cut the metal out and weld in a fix. Other side also has a few spots but nothing right through. Ground out the rust today and applied a rust killer. Tomorrow will see the wire wheel out again to grind away the killer and apply more if I can't see shiny metal.

Drivers side dogleg is shot...big rust bubble....yikes.....still smiling though....double yikes.

The rear hatch panel is the same paint as the rest of the car. The paint is shot and needs a new spray. The orginal radiator has been replaced so I haven't got the colour indicator. However, the paint is the same everywhere so it must be the original colour.

Have found some rust on the passenger floor pan. Not al the way through but there. I washed it and found that water has entered down the back of the firewall (I think). So either a leak in the screen/heater/hole in firewall from vented panel......only a pull apart will sort that.

Can't upload pics on my PC yet...damn USB port is a pita. But I can tell that the engine plate and numbers match.

• 12 years later...