IGNORED

73 240z how to find plug order on dizzy

Posted (edited)

After long battle, I finally found spark but now I need to figure out how to organize plug order on top of the distributor. I tried to find dead centre by putting a screwdriver inside Spark click hole number one to piston comes to top, but all that does is end up having the rotor point to a funny direction around around 3 o’clock looking from the driver seat. I know it should be pointing around 830 but when the rotor is at 8:30 the piston is not at TDc.  The distributors on the only way I can go on. It is lined up and seated properly the distributor rotates properly, but I cannot figure out where sparkling number one is any help this would be great. I do see the mark on the distributor cap or number one is supposed to go but once again that Mark is at about 3 o’clock while looking at it from the driver seat, is it supposed to be there or not?

IMG_8822.jpeg

IMG_8821.jpeg

IMG_8820.jpeg

Edited by Shawninvancouver

Now that you have spark, things can move on. I remember in the other thread the topic of TDC came up and there was a response about where the cam lobes are and you might have been a rotation of on TDC. Open the Oil cap and see if the 2 front lobes on the cam are up in like rabbit ears. This should also be with the #1 cylinder all the way up like you described in the other thread with the screw driver in the spark plug hole. Your firing order is 1 5 3 6 2 4. With the engine at TDC as described the rotor in the distributor would be pointing at cylinder #1.

As well, yes your distributor is in the wrong orientation, but just leave it like that. Find TDC on cylinder #1 on the compression stroke. Where ever the rotor is pointing install plug wire #1 there and do the rest in the right firing order counterclockwise. Fixing you distributor orientation is best left for another time.

• Agree 1

Ok. So it’s a combination of the piston being up. Screwdriver in spark plug hole. And also looking in oil cap to see if two lobes are up??with my distributor orientation should the rotor still point at like 8:30 looking at it from the side of the car?

As @240dkw says. Ignore where you think it should be. Once TDC is achieved per the cam lobes and cyl #1 all the way up the rotor in the distributor will be pointing at #1, then the firing order goes counter clockwise from there in the order stated in post #2.

• Like 1

Please Read the FSM. It will tell you exactly what to do. There is a soft copy available here on the forum. Do you have a copy to read?

Here's where the FSM is for a '73 240Z on this site. You've got some reading to do. And hey, there's lots of pictures of the parts talked about in the different sections.

• Agree 1

Gasoline in it's liquid form isn't flammable. The fumes are! Old gas even less so. One step at a time. Take the advise given and don't frustrate your help or it will dry up.

• Like 2