IGNORED

S30 Public Art - Trivia Quiz of the Day

A little quiz for you Zed trivia lovers. These are a couple of shots I just found recently while going thru a stack of old pictures. Can anyone guess what they are from.

Hint, I took these pictures 38 years ago in Vancouver, BC.

Cheers, Mike

CCI02292024cropped.jpg

20240229_104842.jpg

• Like 1

At first I was going to say aftermath of Mt St Helens, but that looks painted on instead of deposited from above.  And big eruption was 1980.  Maybe a movie set?  

I see something interesting on the Z.  I have never seen it before other than on my first Z and I thought it was something added by the owner - not a factory item.  There is a rubber seal or weather strip just above and in contact with the the window frame of the door.    

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, inline6 said:

At first I was going to say aftermath of Mt St Helens, but that looks painted on instead of deposited from above.  And big eruption was 1980.  Maybe a movie set?  

I see something interesting on the Z.  I have never seen it before other than on my first Z and I thought it was something added by the owner - not a factory item.  There is a rubber seal or weather strip just above and in contact with the the window frame of the door.    

Good possible answers but not correct. I will add that it is some type of spayed on coating. Interesting that you mentioned the Mt St Helens eruption. I was on a road trip with friends to Penticton in my 240Z (the one I'm currently restoring) on that weekend in May, 1980. We awoke to find our cars covered in ash due to prevailing northerly winds from Mt St Helens.

Good eye on spotting that seal. I don't have that feature on my 1970.

Edited by CanTechZ

19 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Cosmoline?  Protective coating for over water shipping.

Good thought but, this was a flat/matte finish to give a monochrome concrete like finish.

Posted (edited)

That is from a sculpture of an undulating highway done by SITE Inc. and was on the cover of Progressive Architecture?  I can't find a picture.

Edited by 26th-Z
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, 26th-Z said:

That is from a sculpture of an undulating highway done by SITE Inc. and was on the cover of Progressive Architecture?  I can't find a picture.

We have a winner. The principal architect/artist was James Wines and it was created at and for the worlds fair, EXPO 86, that was held in Vancouver BC. The theme of the fair, held May to October 1986, was transportation and communication.

The exhibit/sculpture was called Highway 86. Here is a picture of a sign that was posted at the exhibit (thanks Wikipedia). It's cool that the 240Z was selected as a "culturally significant" vehicle even 1986.

Hwy86-1.jpeg

Here are couple of interesting links:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/8489821/Highway-86-Expo-86

https://www.archdaily.com/783491/interview-with-james-wines-the-point-is-to-attack-architecture/56e0304ee58ece865a0000e6-interview-with-james-wines-the-point-is-to-attack-architecture-photo?next_project=no

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

A 200 vehicle "encrustation"?

Where is it now?  It's real. 

image.png

Sadly, after the exposition it was dismantled. I always wondered what happened to the vehicles, the only reference I could find about the disposal of it was from Wikipedia, here's the link, for what it's worth:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_86_Art

Edited by CanTechZ

Hey thanks!  That was a wild arse guess and I couldn't remember all those details except that a photo of it was on the cover of Progressive Architecture at the time.  Waaay back in my career!  Your picture reminded me of the sculpture.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 26th-Z said:

Hey thanks!  That was a wild arse guess and I couldn't remember all those details except that a photo of it was on the cover of Progressive Architecture at the time.  Waaay back in my career!  Your picture reminded me of the sculpture.

Very good recall, especially considering those pictures were taken while the sculpture was still under construction. My first job, after receiving my diploma in civil and structural technology at BCIT, was working for EXPO 86 in the design services department of the construction division. It was great watching first hand as this and many other exhibits went from concept to completion. Here are a few more pictures of Highway 86 from before it was completed and the fair opened.

Looks like I will have to add the pictures later, the unknown server error seems to be back. @Mike

Edited by CanTechZ

On 3/2/2024 at 10:28 AM, inline6 said:

The rubber seal as added to the 1973 240Z's.  

• Thanks 1