IGNORED

Rear Hatch Struts

Av8ferg

Hey I have a few questions about the rear Hatch Struts.  I’ve read a few previous posts on the topic but I’m not 100% clear on the topic.  
So is the rear hatch supposed to open by itself all the way once you push the release button?  Or do you have to assist it a few inches before it opens all the way up?   
My rear hatch won’t open by itself, I have to assist it pretty much all the way.   Now it holds open no problem and requires mild effort to close it.  At the last 3-4” when closing it will not hold, it basically free falls the last 3 inches.  So is this how it’s supposed to work?  I was thinking maybe new struts might be in order.  
Now if they need to be replaced is there a preference to the new strut of choice?  I saw a post by Grannyknot from 2017 about his replacement but I think he’s got a 240z.  I thought they used only one strut on the 240z.  His part number on the link is different than the part number when I put 280z in that website search bar.   His was 90 lbs of forces while the 280z one said 44 lbs each.   I also see all sorts of options when doing a basic Google search but you never know what you’re getting going this route,   Are there are ones that pop right in 
Hoping someone has all this data so I can but the right ones the first time.   Thanks 

8 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

Hey I have a few questions about the rear Hatch Struts.  I’ve read a few previous posts on the topic but I’m not 100% clear on the topic.  
So is the rear hatch supposed to open by itself all the way once you push the release button?  Or do you have to assist it a few inches before it opens all the way up?   
My rear hatch won’t open by itself, I have to assist it pretty much all the way.   Now it holds open no problem and requires mild effort to close it.  At the last 3-4” when closing it will not hold, it basically free falls the last 3 inches.  So is this how it’s supposed to work? 

Pretty much, new struts will open a faster but will be harder to close. I think the general rule of thumb is, as long as the hatch doesn't close under its own weight then the struts are working normally.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Pretty much, new struts will open a faster but will be harder to close. I think the general rule of thumb is, as long as the hatch doesn't close under its own weight then the struts are working normally.

Thanks Granny !
  • Like 1

I recall talking to Matsuo-san at the Memphis ZCON in 2015 about design elements of the 240Z. He recalled that the inspiration for the struts was the elegant but simple canopy mechanism for the French Mirage aircraft. He lobbied for a twin-strut configuration but the yen-counters decreed they would have to make do with only one. We can find his desire for two in the stamping of the inside panel of the hatch.

The OE strut on my car surrendered some years ago but I rescued one from a salvage car that still works perfectly.

• Like 2