IGNORED

1977 280z Odd Tapping Noise

ckurtz2

Hey sorry, wasn't able to check everything till today. History of engine... Long story short the head was rebuilt between 500-1000 miles ago (sorry can't give exact number) after pistons met valves (timing sprocket came off while running) at a shop. Shop replaced pistons/ rebuilt head and replaced valves. Before this happened at the shop the head had been rebuilt already, new timing chain, tensioner, etc. Engine was completely refreshed but the block never taken apart if that makes sense. 

Oil pressure when cold sits around 65psi and when hot around 30-40psi.  It is running a comp cam 260s / MSA 6-1 headers / aftermarket fuel rail. Everything else is pretty much stock. Compression 155psi across the board.

In regards to the valve springs. Honestly, I have no idea if they were replaced or tested (I assume they are the stock ones). 

Cam wipe patterns look good on rocker and cam.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ckurtz2 said:

In regards to the valve springs. Honestly, I have no idea if they were replaced or tested

If not on the bill, they are the old ones.. i also thought of the fact that they are directional.. but i guess your machineshop knows this.. the springs have a top and a bottom..

(But when i hear that a timing sprocket came off (WOW!!! 🤨 )   after a machineshop rebuilt.. i guess this machineshop is not the best??)