IGNORED

Repairing Buzzer Wires From Ignition

Richie G

One of the wires coming out of the ignition switch just gave way and my luck it broke inside the little housing.  Is that housing removable does anyone know?  It didn't look like it but I diodn't really want to get a screw driver under there and go at it too hard.  Any suggestions on how to repair this?  I've seen some other ignitions have the wires exposed but of course mine isn't that lucky 😞

image.jpeg

I was thinking that but worried about compromising the cylinder underneath. Hoping not to mess that up.  I assume cap comes off by prying the two silver tabs out? Very gently i guess lol.

I'm going to practice on an old one first.

got it apart not so bad.  i had another ignition and pulled the switch from that one to replace this one.  will test it out in a few days, thanks @kickstand80

i ran an ohm meter on the bench and do see 0L when no key is present but some odd results when the key is in various positions.  how exactly does this work, key in the lock and the door open?  any position in the lock and the door open?

Thanks. I assume then no matter what position the key is in if the driver door is open it will start The Buzz even a running car parked with the door open is going to sound the buzzer? You would think the fact that the car was running would be an alert enough without needing the buzzer to tell you you left the key in the car LOL after all of this I'm sure I will unplug the wires under the dash at some point like everyone else

• Haha 2

While I wait for the paint to dry on this I had noticed a couple of screw holes on the sides of the ignition and forgot to ask what those were for. I noticed on both of my ignitions and older and an earlier one neither of them have any screws in there but I did happen to notice on eBay one that had a pair of screws sitting in it what are those for?

Ok so here's the latest.  Reinstalled the ignition and it starts the car!  yeah, first goal achieved.  Oh and while I'm at it, here's a little backstory.  This all started because the previous owner had a different key for every lock.  I felt like a janitor walking around when i had them with me 🙂  So my goal was to get one of the "cool keys" which just so happen to match the 6/1/71 manual I have for my 6/71 car.  It was a B#$%^ to find (not even repro anymore) and getting to work on all the replacements.  But, I found a guy in Kuwait of all places that had not only a perfect NOS pair associated to a NOS hatch lock for like $60.  I went about re-keying everything and now both doors, glove, ignition, and hatch all work on these NOS keys

image.jpeg

Thats the good news.  A little more good news is that the dreaded buzzer works now so my switch replacement worked too!  The bad news is that the driver door doesnt shut it off when closed.  Closing the door will shut the dome light as it should but the key just keeps on buzzing.  Any ideas where to look for that wiring miss?

Oh and after poking around under there, any idea what this is?

image.jpeg

Certainly new / added by previous owner but not sure what it is.  I thought maybe it was the flasher relay.  looking at a few other posts this is probably meant to be that as it has the same color wires as below.  The PO could have at least zip tied it up to something lol.

• Like 1