Vintage air in 1971 240 - Interior - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Vintage air in 1971 240

Featured Replies

Almost done installing Vintage in my Z car. QZ16 has a good thread and it helped with some of my install.

I had to use a bulkhead fitting because we had that side of firewall repaired due to a boom box or large speakers. A lot of holes,

I also decide on using hardlines instead of rubber hoses. I like the look and less room.

I installed the Vintage air controls  into the original heat vent con

 

 

KIMG0027.JPG

KIMG0028.JPG

KIMG0030.JPG

indeed, more details!! that is a very neat looking under hood routing going on.

Well, that throws me way off on my vintage air setup. I assumed that the refrigeration lines were located on the drivers side. Guess I need to go ahead and order my system. Originally I was going to go with the factory line location entry on the firewall.

  • Author

More details?Just ask if you have a question. I purchased the Gen 11 mini basic kit, which does not come with a compressor or brackets. I purchased the under hood kit from auto a/c but dont do it. The only thing you can use is the ac compressor bracket. The condenser is why too small for r134. I will give some detail on the pictures I posted.

All the hard lines are vintage pre made U Bent them lines. They come in lengths from 12 to 60 inches. If you look at the #6 high pressure line from receiver drier you see 2 joggles in it. I had to use the 60 inch line which was 4 inches too long,

You cab get stainless lines and make your own. But the cost of the fittings and welding or solder them on did not look fun to me. The condenser is  a 24 x 16 from Vintage air you want the largest you can mount (r134 likes big condenser) Also when you mount it do not put it in upside down like I have seen some people do. You have hot gas coming in at the top which as it travels down removes the heat becomes a liquid.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

If you decide to use the hard lines  from Vintage air do not use cheap tube benders purchase Imperial benders that are far better. I purchased mine from e bay at appox $40 (used). Another trick with using tube benders is to put a little grease on tool helps making a smooth bend. I was use dense foam between condenser and core support. This keeps all the air pulling though it and not from the sides. I do same with my radiator

KIMG0038.JPG

  • Author

The receiver drier I did not want it in engine compartment. I made mounts from aluminum rod, drilled and tap with 6mm tab. Something else Vintage air will make hard lines for you. There is a you tube video showing how  to measure and bends you can make.

KIMG0045.JPG

Want to throw this out to the forum. Spoke with another member here that’s very familiar with these systems and recommended using copper until a flex point is needed. Want to hear from you guys and experience adding a vintage air or other aftermarket system. At the moment I have a clean slate on moving forward in the engine bay.  All of the 280z brackets/ hardware is gone. Thanks and welcome any advice.

Also saw where there is a manufacturer that has the drier attached to the condenser. Hoped that would be a cleaner look. 

Just now, Yarb said:

Also saw where there is a manufacturer that has the drier attached to the condenser. Hoped that would be a cleaner look. 

Are you referring to Nostalgic AC?

Yes Sir 

Edited by Yarb

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.