IGNORED

Air Cleaner Manifold Hose

Richie G

My car doesn't have a hose for the wintertime connection from cleaner to manifold.  I don't really need it in Sacramento, but do I want to put it on there anyway?  I don't think I ever see one on most if not all of the cars that get a proper restoration on BAT, but it just feels weird to have that exhaust manifold going nowhere?  A quick search here really didn't provide much other than a small thread from 05.  If I do need it, is it really this from Z Car Depot as the original looking hose?

image.png

I’m with granny - unless you want the stock look, I don’t think it’s function is really worth it.

Before I went with a different air box and full cold air intake, I had a plastic intake pipe going from the exhaust part of the box to the rad panel, bringing in cold air from the front of the car - I figured every little helps.

287adf35041054c8afef1b1450aff078.jpg

• Like 1

OK thanks guys.  So cooler air = better performance, just like cold water makes better coffee 😉 I was just curious that the manifold pipe being left wide open wasn't a "good thing", no issues just leaving it like that?  We don't cap it or anything?  And for looks if I do decide to place it on and off at times, is that dryer vent looking hose from Z Car really accurate?  I can't imagine they used that way back when, looks so out of place with everything else.  I was going to get this from Dorman to at least have it match some of the hoses aesthetically.  Only $10 or so currently on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-HELP-96034-Preheater-Hose/dp/B000C5I7VC/ref=asc_df_B000C5I7VC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241973068692&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17963068419572466911&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032516&hvtargid=pla-570818045410&psc=1

image.png

• Like 2

My '72 had that J shaped heat riser coming off the exhaust manifold to the filter box. I put a msa header on and deleted the heat riser. It didn't actually connect to an exhaust manifold "hole" just rode of the manifold heat. I asked the forum what to with the air filter box opening and was advised to to leave it open as rodents storing nuts wouldn't be able to. They couldn't get over the hole to my carbs. LOL

Unless you're going to a car show I would leave the bottom hole open on the filter and Summer flap open. As stated above our carbs don't need any more heat than necessary.

My carbs with the ceramic coated header are close to frosting in the winter and cool to the touch in summer.

• Like 4