IGNORED

N47 Head Exhaust Liners Question

Ownallday

If the aluminum stakes/posts/pins are still in the port I'd bet somebody might scavenge an old head for a liner and send it to you.  Maybe.  Post a picture of the linerless port anyway, if you can, just for viewing.  Maybe it's fixable.

3 hours ago, EuroDat said:

If you use a P79 head on a standard N42 block that had a N42 or N47 head it will kill your CR and serverly reduce the performance.

You can modify the P79 but shaving it 80 thou (2mm) use the valves from the N47 head (N42 & N47 vavles are two mm longer) and shim the cam towers.

That will compensate for the 10.9cc dish in the pistons.

Exactly my point, don't wanna kill the compression and I remember how slow that setup was in the past. My cracked e88 head, n42 engine with a compression ratio of 100 and triple Weber's that weren't even tuned properly ran better than the combo with the P79 head.

Not sure if it's worth it going through all that trouble but I'm going for mostly stock internals and stockish rebuild anyways.

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

If the aluminum stakes/posts/pins are still in the port I'd bet somebody might scavenge an old head for a liner and send it to you.  Maybe.  Post a picture of the linerless port anyway, if you can, just for viewing.  Maybe it's fixable.

I believe they were in there, I'll post a picture sometime this weekend when I'm home. How would something like that be fixed?

I've got my 9/76 n47 bare bones. I've removed the valve train but I'm sure the liners are good. I'd let it go for next to nothing. I can get some pics over  the weekend after I remove the contents of my storage building. It's in the way back section.

I've got 6 heads and 2 Zs. LOL

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I've got my 9/76 n47 bare bones. I've removed the valve train but I'm sure the liners are good. I'd let it go for next to nothing. I can get some pics over  the weekend after I remove the contents of my storage building. It's in the way back section.

I've got 6 heads and 2 Zs. LOL

That depends... I may consider it but how much and how much is shipping going to cost? I'm almost willing to just run the head I have how it is because I saw two people say their cars ran fine and they couldn't feel a difference with liners missing.

16 hours ago, Ownallday said:

That depends... I may consider it but how much and how much is shipping going to cost? I'm almost willing to just run the head I have how it is because I saw two people say their cars ran fine and they couldn't feel a difference with liners missing.

That's what I probably would do too. I think I'd try to figure out where the broken off metal is located now. Being it's exhaust it's probably down in the exhaust manifold?

You can buy those bore scopes that use your smartphone as the monitor if you're a worrier. LOL

It seems impossible to go backwards and get in the cylinder, but the damndest things happen when you're not expecting it.

15 hours ago, Patcon said:

Shipping would probably be $75 as a wild guess. The stripped head is aluminum so it should be too heavy

Let me know overall how much and if Zelle or PayPal works I'd probably definitely consider it.

21 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

That's what I probably would do too. I think I'd try to figure out where the broken off metal is located now. Being it's exhaust it's probably down in the exhaust manifold?

You can buy those bore scopes that use your smartphone as the monitor if you're a worrier. LOL

It seems impossible to go backwards and get in the cylinder, but the damndest things happen when you're not expecting it.

Good point, didn't even think about checking the exhaust. I'll do that when I can. Unless one of the previous owners removed it in the past. I actually have a boring scope on hand.