IGNORED

Hagerty Drivers Club

bpilati

Okay I have a gripe, and very big gripe. Hagerty Drivers Club puts out a magazine. Well for years they've been Japanese autophobic except on very rare occasions. They have all the American and European car makers represented huge throughout their magazine, but Japanese automakers are conspicuously left out at least 99% of the time. I have written them several times with no success. I got a response about 20 years ago that they would attempt to do better. Fat chance! What can be done about it, because I know many Z owners send them business through their classic car and HPDE insurance..........me for one. But that may change. Thoughts? The latest edition has one Japanese car the KIA Niro EV...............stuck way in the back! 🤬

Well, on the flip-side, they aren't publishing a bunch of articles with bad information. 

I hear enough wrong information about the Zs at car shows to keep @HS30-H busy with his voodoo dolls all day long. Many times, I reply with, "No, that isn't true," or "That is in the realm of urban legend." On more than one occasion, I have heard that Nissan bought Datsun because Datsun went bankrupt. 

As for Hagerty, what comes to mind is the last line from Chinatown. "Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Perhaps Artificial Intelligence (AI) will cure many of the misperceptions about the origin of the 240Z.  Although, I wouldn't rule out the chance it will also introduce some new ones or reinforce a few totally wonky ideas.

Here's what Microsoft's AI, ChatGPT, has to say when asked to write a brief paragraph about the design origin of the 240Z.

"The designer of the 1970 Datsun 240Z, also known as the Nissan Fairlady Z in Japan, was Yoshihiko Matsuo. Yoshihiko Matsuo is credited with leading the design team at Nissan (then Datsun) responsible for creating the iconic 240Z. Under his guidance, the team aimed to create a sports car that combined performance, style, and affordability. The result was a design that blended elements of European sports cars with Japanese sensibilities, featuring a sleek and timeless aesthetic that appealed to a wide audience. The Datsun 240Z's design played a significant role in establishing its reputation and popularity, making it a classic and highly regarded sports car of its era."

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, bpilati said:

Okay I have a gripe, and very big gripe. Hagerty Drivers Club puts out a magazine. Well for years they've been Japanese autophobic except on very rare occasions. They have all the American and European car makers represented huge throughout their magazine, but Japanese automakers are conspicuously left out at least 99% of the time. I have written them several times with no success. I got a response about 20 years ago that they would attempt to do better. Fat chance! What can be done about it, because I know many Z owners send them business through their classic car and HPDE insurance..........me for one. But that may change. Thoughts? The latest edition has one Japanese car the KIA Niro EV...............stuck way in the back! 🤬

I agree that Hagerty does under represent Asian auto manufacturers in this bi-monthly magazine. To be fair in the May-June edition there is a Japanese inclusion on the page after the Kia, a 2023 Toyota 4Runner. They mention it's the 40th anniversary of the 4Runner.

In the Mar-Apr edition Hagerty did a better job of representing the Japanese segment with three inclusions. The 2022 Subaru WRX as number 3  in the new car section, a two page article about the Mazda Miata in segment called affordable classics, and best of all, a short member story from a West Virginia original owner of a Datsun 280Z, includes a pic of the car and owner.

My gripe is not quite as severe as yours. 🙂

Edited by CanTechZ
grammar
  • Agree 1