IGNORED

Temp sensor resistor

chaseincats

I've been trying to tune the car with an air fuel gauge for a while now.  A few years ago my car held a steady temp and I got it to run perfect/consistent numbers but now that it heats up a bit in traffic and cools down on the highway those numbers are no longer so steady.

I was looking into adding the temp resistor to keep the temp gauge in check but it looks like I misunderstood the premise as I thought it limited the resistance to 300 ohms (175 degrees) but instead it just adds resistance overall.  So me adding it will put me in the same place I currently am, just with a richer running engine it seems...

My '77 ran horribly up until about 2,500 RPM. I jerked and bucked between running good and bad, popped through the throttle blade too but above that certain RPM range it ran great. I read and read until I was overwhelmed by possibilities of what it could be. I decided to take a chance and went to Radio Shack and got the volume knob for a stereo. $5 dollars and some speaker wire I have plenty of now I have the potentiometer in the passenger's floor board so I can fine tune while driving.

From what I gathered in all that reading was the ECU would get out of spec over time and the pot addition brought it back to life. It worked great for me and now I have a new something to distract me while driving. 

Page 3 is the good stuff out of the whole thread...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mine has had a potentiometer for 20 years or so.  I was organizing the garage today and I came across a hard copy of the instructions on how to install and tune it.  I am pretty sure I printed it on a dot matrix printer.  🙂

Mine sits right on top of the intake and I haven't had to adjust it since first dialing it in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff G 78 said:

Mine has had a potentiometer for 20 years or so.  I was organizing the garage today and I came across a hard copy of the instructions on how to install and tune it.  I am pretty sure I printed it on a dot matrix printer.  🙂

Mine sits right on top of the intake and I haven't had to adjust it since first dialing it in.

Could you take a couple pictures of the installation instructions?

If it's already lean as mine was just consider without the pot switch you're at -10????? whatever. So I add the potentiometer and can make it 0 or dial it all the way back and lean it out to -10. Go full the other way and I can fatten it up so much it barely idles.

So to quote some politician it's all relative to what it is today as to what it can be tomorrow.

• Haha 1