IGNORED

Wanted ECU?ECCS for Euro 1983 280zx Turbo (and diff between those from EU and USA model!)

dutchzcarguy

Hi guys,

Can someone tell me what's the difference between a euro 280zxt and a usa 280zx turbo ECU

(Yes the 280zx turbo has a ecu like ECCS.. As it has a Microprocessor (and thus a clockfrequency!) it's a electronic computer)

Where the nonturbo had a sort of analog computer the turbo had a real processor in it!

Some guy from Belgium needs a ECU for a 1983 euro 280zx turbo..  nowhere to be found.. i was informed that the usa version will not fit.. someone have some info on the type/part number that's used in 280zx turbo usa and euro? 

Thanks, for any info!

Thanks ZED!

But i only repeat what he told me, i'm just helping him out, if someone has one i give his adres (if he is oké with that.) 

He told me that a USA version did not fit..   (Also: a euro has 204 HP and a usa has 180HP .. or could it be that there is a difference because the usa is in HP DIN.  and the euro is in HP SAE ?  (That could explain the difference!) 

He sended me a pic of the connector of his 280zx turbo:

mp-yams-b3def8fd5a364633a4b52368d2dc03ad

I got a 280zx turbo service manual but they only refer to it as: The EFI control unit..  No numbers no nothing..

I see that the unit on zdriver.com has a complete different connector.. actually 2 connectors! so that's probably why it won't fit.

Edited by dutchzcarguy

5 hours ago, dutchzcarguy said:

Thanks ZED!

But i only repeat what he told me, i'm just helping him out, if someone has one i give his adres (if he is oké with that.) 

He told me that a USA version did not fit..   (Also: a euro has 204 HP and a usa has 180HP .. or could it be that there is a difference because the usa is in HP DIN.  and the euro is in HP SAE ?  (That could explain the difference!) 

He sended me a pic of the connector of his 280zx turbo:

mp-yams-b3def8fd5a364633a4b52368d2dc03ad

I got a 280zx turbo service manual but they only refer to it as: The EFI control unit..  No numbers no nothing..

I see that the unit on zdriver.com has a complete different connector.. actually 2 connectors! so that's probably why it won't fit.

That's a 35 pin NA connector on a United States car.  Maybe the ECCS system was only introduced for emissions purposes in the States.  I don't see how ignition timing control would work though,  since the ECCS controls that using the CAS in the distributor.

Any chance that your friend has made the not uncommon mistake of confusing the injector cooling fan with a turbocharger?  Maybe it's not a turbo car.

image.pngimage.png

image.png

Edited by Zed Head
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Made for the "Autobonds".

I need to find an Autobondsman to get my ZX out of bodywork jail. The donor car for the F54 engine that's currently in my car  was being sold on Craigslist many years ago as a Turbo car.  It was indeed not a turbo...the seller thought the injector cooler blower was a turbo.  It happens.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Patcon said:

Does your friend have the original ecu? Pictures of the numbers on that would be helpful

Nope.. he does not..  He bought a car i have seen before and IS a euro (Dutch) turbo zx!  I know because i've seen the car years ago when i bought some parts from the man that had this car in the Netherlands.. it's now in Belgium.

19 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Any chance that your friend has made the not uncommon mistake of confusing the injector cooling fan with a turbocharger?  Maybe it's not a turbo car.

Thanks Zed, but no.. it's 100% a 280zx turbo and he didn't tell me but it must be a 1983 turbo as there was only in 1983 a turbo version in the Netherlands orig. imported and sold by the dealer. 
And folks.. i do know the difference between a turbo and a injector fan haha! 🤣

I told him he could go for a megasquirt system or maybe something from Jenvey, but i don't know if it's possible to use that on a turbo engine.

He's just someone that asked me for parts but i don't have any for the turbo cars..  

One thing is very clear.. there IS a lot of difference between the euro and USA version! 😫

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yeah you seem like someone who knows the difference between a turbo car and an injector fan haha.

It is my understanding that the Haltech 550 series will run the L28ET.

There's a 2 part video of it being installed and run on YouTube. My phone seems to be too antiquated to insert a working link for it, but if you search "280zx L28 TURBO Haltech 550 install" you'll find it.

If anything it's good to watch with a nice tall Pilsener in your hand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1