IGNORED

Connecting aftermarket alternator

MM569457

I think that they all come from the same place.  That number is probably attached to that alternator across sellers.

Napa has something different.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/RAY2138114?impressionRank=1

The problem with reman alternators is that you often have to return 2 or 3 before you get a good one.  So Rockauto could cost you a lot of time and shipping costs.  Better to buy local.  I had a salvage yard 280ZX unit on mine and a new reman on the shelf.  

Edited by Zed Head

When I purchased from a local store like autozone I have the check right out of the box. Can't hurt...

The alt I have on my test stand has a label that say 14118, has the P connector Zhead do you have more info on that P connection is about? I am pretty sure my other backup alt had it as well, just did not connect to anything. I am using a mechanical VR on all my engines (the NA test stand, the Turbo test stand and my car). IIRC my car has an original looking hitachi, no "P" connector. Its failure mode as a shorted diode. I replaced the diode pack and its been good for years now. Frankly I trust it more than the reman stuff that looks nice but I had one fail on a trip not that long ago, so now only my test stands use reman, I will try to fix them myself for now on if I have a failure.

That list is nice but it doesn't tell much about what the component does.  Also leaves some things out like the fact that the (L)amp pin is also the field pin.  It's dual function.

I think that the "tachometer" label is also kind of confusing.    My vague memory is that it is meant for sensing proper operation of the alternator components.  Pulse counting.  Not 100% sure on that.  Looks like it can be used for diesel applications also.  http://www.vermontficks.org/pic/dtachd.htm

Like those old databases that show CV axles for 240Z's once somebody creates the database and everyone starts using it the mistakes last for decades.