IGNORED

Differences between 240z and 260z dashboards

Jeff Berk

I was redoing my '74 260z interior in leather and so far have the seats, door panels, and center console completed. The problem is that my supplier, J-F Customs in the UK, sent a dashboard cover that I think is for a 240z. The most apparent issue is that the ignition switch hole was moved lower a few inches lower in the 260z. A 240z owner on this site has successfully used J-F so I figured I was safe buying it.

J-F Customs has been responding to my e-mails that they are designing the correct cover for my dash but that's been going on now for weeks. Now they don't respond at all.  

Where I can use help is that I'd like a local leather smith to replace the panel that includes the ignition hole but I'd like to know if there is anything else that has changed between the 240z and early 260z dashes?

Jeff

I'm not sure what you mean by the ignition hole. The ignition switch on my 240Z and 260Z are on the steering column.

Differences:

1. The 260Z dash does not go down as far as the 240Z dash.
  2. The 240Z dash has cutouts for the cigarette lighter and hazard switch. For the 260Z, the switch moved down to the center console. Note the hazard switch hole for the 240Z has variations, too.
  3. The shape of the ventilation controls area is different. 
  4. The gauge lights dimmer and trip reset are on the front of the dash on a 260Z.
  5. There is a cutout for the glove box lock on the 240Z. The lock is integrated into the door on the 260Z.
  6. There are some contour differences, too.

240Z

image.png

260Z

image.png

• Like 3

My error, the hole in question is the cigarette lighter, not the ignition. I think what worries me now is the differences in the dash contours. This could cause some problems getting the leather to fit properly. 

1. The 260Z dash does not go down as far as the 240Z dash. That could be helpful since I can make the dash cover smaller, not larger.
  2. The 240Z dash has cutouts for the cigarette lighter and hazard switch. For the 260Z, the switch moved down to the center console. Note the hazard switch hole for the 240Z has variations, too. The lighter hole is a problem since there is nothing I can do to move the hole on the leather and would have to replace this section of leather.
  3. The shape of the ventilation controls area is different. I might be able to stretch the leather to get it to fit.
  4. The gauge lights dimmer and trip reset are on the front of the dash on a 260Z. Cutting new holes is not a problem.
  5. There is a cutout for the glove box lock on the 240Z. The lock is integrated into the door on the 260Z. No hole was cut out in the leather for the glovebox lock so I'm good there.
  6. There are some contour differences, too. The change in contours could be a killer. It might be worth giving it a try before I spend money on replacing the section of leather under the steering wheel.
Edited by Jeff Berk
  • Like 1

Some of the details will be distorted by the dash cap.

image.jpeg

And I still don't know how to align the glove box door.

image.jpeg

I think this really outlines your challenges if you look carefully, aside from the extra holes for the cigarette lighter (higher in the 240Z) and glove box door button.

The dash cover supplier agreed to take care of the issue and I just mailed the 240z leather cover back to them in the UK. Hopefully, they will send the right one now. The door card covers and center console covers from them worked out well. 

Captain Obvious: Yes, you are correct, it is just you.

SteveJ: Your second picture looks like my dash, except I ran the wires behind the dash ; )

• Haha 2

I'll update you on the results after I receive and install the dash. It is going to take a few weeks but based on the one I returned, the contouring is done with curved seams. From what I understand from another classiczcars contributor, I'll need to wet the leather and stretch it over the dashboard to dry using lots of clamps in order to form it. Some sites suggest wetting leather with a mixture of water, alcohol, and baby shampoo.

Here's the one they should be sending. Note that I told them I would need to have a left-hand drive version. I am thinking the red stitching is a bit too much so I'll likely dye them black. It also lacks the cigarette lighter hold so i requested they send me the leather for one and I'd install it where needed.

image.png

• 1 month later...

Just curious if they ever resolved the cover issue, and how you dealt with gluing it to the old dash. I'm considering buying a new repro dash, just because trying to repair an original dash is always going to end up less than stellar, IMO. I'm not thrilled about spending that much on a dash, however one has to look at it all the time. It's like having a vinyl steering wheel, it just feels wrong.

I returned the old dash cover to them and have been communicating with them off and on for a few weeks. They finally shipped the replacement and it arrived in Chicago yesterday. I hope it will be just a few more days and I'll have it. I'll post some details on the installation as it progresses. There was a 2015 post with details on the installation on a 240z you might want to look at:

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/50755-leather-dash-cover-installation/