IGNORED

280z L28 Rebuild, Power Questions

Ownallday

The 123 ignition could help with performance and to help pass emissions - IMHO . A fully programmable ignition curve would allow a more aggressive power curve without giving too much vacuum advance . Your engine/ head combo is not the greatest for performance . Added compression would make a stronger case for adding a programmable dizzy .

Cheap way to add a little power is to advance the cam to hole 2 or 3 . This would add noticeable power/ torque down low . Once again this would be better if you had full control of ignition . 
A cam and programmable ignition would be best bang for buck 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, madkaw said:

The 123 ignition could help with performance and to help pass emissions - IMHO . A fully programmable ignition curve would allow a more aggressive power curve without giving too much vacuum advance . Your engine/ head combo is not the greatest for performance . Added compression would make a stronger case for adding a programmable dizzy .

Cheap way to add a little power is to advance the cam to hole 2 or 3 . This would add noticeable power/ torque down low . Once again this would be better if you had full control of ignition . 
A cam and programmable ignition would be best bang for buck 

Looks like a 123 distributor will be added to the list of things I can do then. You are right, being able to adjust the ignition curve at different RPMS could be useful. I may have to ask a smog tech if a distributor will fail any visual but to me seems like a distributor is not considered a smog component. Would the MSD 6AL Ignition system work with the 123 dizzy? I think one of the things I decided to add to my list of things I could have done too is porting the stock intake manifold. The AFM would have to be adjusted more than likely. Not sure what kind of power gains could be seen from that.

Noted, does that have any drawback for smog? I could always just install the cam on 1 then increase to 2 or 3 after the move if necessary.

Here is a discussion from some Porsche guys about running a MSD and the like in tandem with the 123 distributor. I don't think I've read anywhere on here where anyone has tried it on our cars.

I don't run it on mine and never really considered it because the 123 has electronic advance. But maybe it would benefit..

https://forums.190slgroup.com/archive/index.php/t-13227.html

Not sure what advantage the MSD would be with the 123 - seems redundant . 
I wouldn’t waste time on porting the intake . There’s very little to port and the runners can handle 230hp as is 🙂

Advancing the cam can be done at anytime . I’d spring for a Kameari adjustable while the US dollar is strong . It makes adjustments so easy . Advancing can bump compression which will help torque . 

Some people think the multiple discharges reduce the number of misses at idle.  So it might help a bit for emissions.

This still seems like an odd thread.  Lots of work to try to fool the emissions tester.  Whatever you think about the purpose of the laws, really, this thread is about breaking the law.  Why not stick with stock, pass the test legally, drive it around while you're in CA and build a separate motor the way you want it to be?  You don't even know what the stock engine is like.  You can do the lightweight flywheel and lower gearing without worrying about emissions.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Reptoid Overlords said:

Here is a discussion from some Porsche guys about running a MSD and the like in tandem with the 123 distributor. I don't think I've read anywhere on here where anyone has tried it on our cars.

I don't run it on mine and never really considered it because the 123 has electronic advance. But maybe it would benefit..

https://forums.190slgroup.com/archive/index.php/t-13227.html

Thanks, might seem like it may not work or even be worth trying to get it to work with the MSD. I already have the MSD box which is why I asked.

16 hours ago, madkaw said:

Not sure what advantage the MSD would be with the 123 - seems redundant . 
I wouldn’t waste time on porting the intake . There’s very little to port and the runners can handle 230hp as is 🙂

Advancing the cam can be done at anytime . I’d spring for a Kameari adjustable while the US dollar is strong . It makes adjustments so easy . Advancing can bump compression which will help torque . 

Really? isn't the intake somewhat restrictive on airflow? I only know of one person who went ahead and ported his intake and he apparently got a faster 0-60 time. This was however on a 280zx NA. I am not sure if there are any major differences between the 78 280z intake compared to the zx intake. Honestly never knew they made an adjustable cam pulley. More than likely will snag it for the build, Thanks!

16 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Some people think the multiple discharges reduce the number of misses at idle.  So it might help a bit for emissions.

This still seems like an odd thread.  Lots of work to try to fool the emissions tester.  Whatever you think about the purpose of the laws, really, this thread is about breaking the law.  Why not stick with stock, pass the test legally, drive it around while you're in CA and build a separate motor the way you want it to be?  You don't even know what the stock engine is like.  You can do the lightweight flywheel and lower gearing without worrying about emissions.

I understand. I did a lot of research and couldn't find answers to most of these things I posted. I am actually trying to avoid breaking the law. So long as the car can pass emissions without removing any emission components, no laws to my knowledge are being broken which is my goal. I use to have a stock engine in my 75 before I swapped to webers but the engine was low on compression and consuming oil like no tomorrow for the time I drove it so I have some indication of stock, just not a stock rebuilt one. Also limited on space and my motor is already apart and would like to avoid having to take it apart again for another 10 years. I have a lightweight flywheel already but unsure on the gearing of my trans and diff.