IGNORED

78 280Z fuel tank advice

One Way

Merry CHRISTmas!  Slowly moving on our resurrection project which currently has us tackling the fuel tank.  I knew we would be in trouble 5-6 years ago when we purchased this project and attempted to drain the tank of a car that had been off the road for about 20 years.  The drain plug came out with some slight persuasion but had to get a small phillips screwdriver to poke through and allow the old fuel to drain.  The drained tank was removed and set aside in our shop and now we have recently begun to evaluate the tank.  The exterior is in excellent condition, factory stampings still visible, lock ring removed quite easily, fuel sender unit intact but rusted solid, and have removed rust by the pound just blowing some compressed air into the tank and knocking it a bit.  My big concern is the integrity of the feed and return lines which are now visible-previously hidden under the pounds of rust.  The top vent pipes are free and clear to air flow but the bottom feed and return lines don't seem to allow air to flow through into the tank.  I have some BLASTER sprayed into the lines and have let that sit a few days.  Not sure at this time if that has accomplished anything-extremely busy work schedule lately.  Experienced advice gladly welcomed.  Thanks, John-Lugoff, SC  Merry CHRISTmas and a blessed New Year.

• Like 1

My time is in short supply with work, church, family, but I am thoroughly enjoying the slow resurrection project.  I am up to trying the different DIY recoating options, or sending the tank to professional tank renewers, but not 100% sure either of those methods will produce good results.  The BLASTER continues to seep down the tubes, but still not seeing anything coming into the tank although the center portion is mostly unvisible even with a good light shining into the tank.  Success or failure experiences gladly welcome.  Thanks again, on my way to work-John-Lugoff, SC.

Thanks for all the replies.  I guess I am still old school and would prefer working the old tank but there is a point when the old has to go and a new piece must be used.  I will do some more research as time permits on these options.  Several years ago I sent the tank from our 69 Datsun 2000 to be renewed.  If memory serves me correctly it was $50-$60 to ship it out and later got a call that it could not be done due to the internal baffles and rust condition.  I passed on spending another $50-$60 to have it returned and put that money towards a small plastic tank from Summit Racing.  There is quite a bit more involved with the 280Z tank as far as plumbing and mounting is concerned.  Thanks again and Merry CHRISTmas-John-Lugoff SC.

• Like 1