IGNORED

Only those with strong stomachs look

ennisdavis

For those who have rust free Z's (yea right) dont look. I have been working on my Japanese  lunch box and the right front rocker is getting tricky. This is not going to be a 10 year on the jig project but not a bondo special either. I have a new outer front tip of a rocker, new inner front rocker and the new inner stiffener. The question is does the right kick panel come all the way down to the bottom of the rocker. I dont think it does. I cut away (pic) the outer part of the rocker and will try to grind to fit the new piece up in there and attach to the A pillar. Plasma really helps. This is a real ugly area to work on.

p.s. also included is a pic of the inner rocker where the fender bolts to.

inner rocker.jpg

outter rocker.jpg

• Wow 1

2 hours ago, ennisdavis said:

For those who have rust free Z's (yea right) dont look. I have been working on my Japanese  lunch box and the right front rocker is getting tricky. This is not going to be a 10 year on the jig project but not a bondo special either. I have a new outer front tip of a rocker, new inner front rocker and the new inner stiffener. The question is does the right kick panel come all the way down to the bottom of the rocker. I dont think it does. I cut away (pic) the outer part of the rocker and will try to grind to fit the new piece up in there and attach to the A pillar. Plasma really helps. This is a real ugly area to work on.

p.s. also included is a pic of the inner rocker where the fender bolts to.

inner rocker.jpg

outter rocker.jpg

Oohh!!!!

Can this be a share your rustbuckets thread?

If so, I have a few.

Here is a 77 280Z I have, HLS30-400870.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Racer X
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 1

Thats a very good question and someone is paying attention. I know what it is because I took the pic. You are looking at the right side outer front rocker (its cut out. The tire would be to the right and the A pillar to the left. The question is... does the vertical kick panel go all the way down to the bottom of the rocker? I dont think so.

I dont know whether the patient is a 240, 260 or 280 but apparently  the kick panel was a tall panel that extended from the cowl all the way to the bottom of the rocker panel. I dont know if the KF panel is in addition to that layer or a replacement for the bottom section of that panel but it is not the complete panel

Yes, the KF panel is only an inner rocker reinforcement panel.

The item number 1 in the parts manual dot com page is a full panel, from the plenum down to the pinch weld where the inner and outer rocker panels, and the reinforcement panel come together. 

Somewhere the outer edge of the floor pan ties in there too.

• Agree 1