IGNORED

Still struggling with car at idle after 8 years

jalexquijano

@jalexquijano I wouldn't adjust the floats yet. IMO the plugs should be a bit lighter colored. I'd reduce the number of turns down (raise the nozzles)  in 1/4 turn increments and drive it for a few days then look at the plugs again. If and when you reach a point when the engine isn't pulling as strong as it did before the previous nozzle adjustment, accelerate up a hill, and ease the choke on, If the engine is running lean you'll feel the instant power surge with the added choke. The choke is just lowering the nozzle the same as the mixture adjustment screw.

• Like 2

Just start with 2 turns down and slowly adjust where it runs real good.

I cannot imagine why you would want more then 2-1/2 turns. When you like how it runs, stop.

Don't worry about what a plug looks like. Just enjoy it.

You want your car to run good in traffic like you want. If it does that, your good.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 11/7/2023 at 3:52 PM, Mark Maras said:

@jalexquijano I wouldn't adjust the floats yet. IMO the plugs should be a bit lighter colored. I'd reduce the number of turns down (raise the nozzles)  in 1/4 turn increments and drive it for a few days then look at the plugs again. If and when you reach a point when the engine isn't pulling as strong as it did before the previous nozzle adjustment, accelerate up a hill, and ease the choke on, If the engine is running lean you'll feel the instant power surge with the added choke. The choke is just lowering the nozzle the same as the mixture adjustment screw.

Should i clean the 6 plugs again with the brass brush and carb cleaner? I also have a new set of bpr6es. The current ones are ngk BPR5es.

@jalexquijano Yes, carb cleaner and a brass brush will be fine. Don't change to new plugs of a different heat range yet. Let's concentrate on one change at a time. Raise both nozzles 1/4 turn, drive it for a few days, and report back with plug pics and a performance report. I'm still curious if you're using anti-seize on the plug threads and what color it is, silver or copper.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2023 at 5:24 PM, Mark Maras said:

I shudder when I think of the number of spark plugs you've bought over the last eight years but unless you can get them clean (snow-white porcelain) a new set will get a fresh reading (Deja Vu) and hopefully narrow this down to the fuel-air mixture or oil. Did the plugs start to load up when you were waiting for your roasted chicken lunch?

Just received this brand resistor i bought from amazon but it measures 4.2 ohms instead of 3 ohms. I measured it with my fluke 117 digital multimeter. Its a pitty amazon advertise it as 3 ohms. 

20231124_224420.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 11/8/2023 at 7:32 PM, Mark Maras said:

@jalexquijano Yes, carb cleaner and a brass brush will be fine. Don't change to new plugs of a different heat range yet. Let's concentrate on one change at a time. Raise both nozzles 1/4 turn, drive it for a few days, and report back with plug pics and a performance report. I'm still curious if you're using anti-seize on the plug threads and what color it is, silver or copper.

Well the problem always comes back if you leave the car idling for too long even on a parking lot. This time even spark plug 1 got fouled. Cleaned all the plugs with brass brush and carb cleaner and car accelerates fine. Need go get a solutiom to this problem ASAP.

20240316_181731.jpg