IGNORED

Harmonic Balancer Broken

DadAndLadZ

Well, we have been slow getting back to work on our '74 260Z because school is back in, etc. After being tipped off in another thread that our harmonic balancer had become deformed with time, we set about taking it off and hoped to either find a replacement (scarce, as you probably know) or have it rebuilt by a company in Texas that advertises this service for these cars.

Borrowed a puller from a friend yesterday — the kind that screws into the holes, not the kind with clamps — and just couldn't get the thing to budge with hand tools. (To be clear, we got the big bolt out just fine, but the balancer itself was stuck tight.) I sprayed a bunch of penetrating oil on it and left it overnight. Came back today and tried again and was glad when it finally started moving — until we got it all the way out and found a big chunk broken out of the snout!

image.png

The other piece came right out too. We were pressed for time so I haven't taken a good close look at the shaft itself, but this is a pretty heavy bummer. Anybody else ever seen this happen? We'd like to replace it with another that has twin pulleys like the original, in case we have the opportunity to put A/C back into this car as it was factory equipped, but again — rare as hen's teeth.

Thanks to everybody who has chimed in on my earlier posts. Your insight is very helpful!

Best,
MC

Edited by DadAndLadZ
Typo

Why is it so rusty on the inside surface, the eBay piece?  Looks like it's been off and wet for quite a while.

Where does the fracture start on the damaged damper?  Is it at the keyway?  How does the end of the crankshaft look?  Better take a close look.  That groove in your picture looks like the damper was cocked on the shaft so bad that it rubbed on something, like it was wobbling  You might have bigger problems.  (Sorry).

That's a bummer.  @Terrapin Z has many parts.  Maybe he has a two row damper.  Good luck.

Just now, Zed Head said:

That's a bummer.  @Terrapin Z has many parts.  Maybe he has a two row damper.  Good luck.

Yeah it sure ain't good news. We were pressed for time when we got it off and didn't have an opportunity to look at it up close and personal. Will do soon and will share video/pix in the group here. Thanks.

I had my my 75 280 DP rebuilt(new rubber) about a year ago . It's very hard to find the 2-pully damper and they are not available anywhere. You can find the single pully, but there still expensive. If you do find a used 2-pully you should have it rebuilt. Mine was wabbling pretty good at idle, but off the car it looked and felt good! Just beware that a damper this old probably needs to be rebuilt, that's another $200.

So the first question is... Did the damper crack on it's way out as you pulled it, or was it already cracked before you pulled it? I think that's what Zed Head was alluding to. It would be interesting to have the answer to that.

As for the gouge on the back side, didn't you say your timing pointer was chewed off? I think you may have figured out what happened there.

It's not the first example of a cracked damper, although the other ones I remember were damaged upon insertion. Improper insertion. If yours was damaged when they put it in, and wobbled because of that damage, it would explain a lot. Wouldn't help pay for a replacement, but would at least explain what happened.

• Like 1