IGNORED

Headlight switch problem- 1978 280z

gotham22

I was having issues with my headlights where they would only turn on if I played with the knob and moved it back and forth in small increments. I took apart the switch and cleaned up the corrosion. One of my springs with the plastic tips that push the rockers looks melted or worn.  I am assuming this is no longer a part I can get.  Do I need the plastic piece on top of the spring or can I use the spring without it?  Is there anything I can swap the plastic piece with that could work as a fix?

IMG_6145.jpeg

IMG_6146.jpeg

IMG_6147.jpeg

IMG_6146.jpeg

Yep, that's a problem. It melts down/wears down because of the heat from all of the current flowing through the switch. Don't try to get a 3D printed version. It will only melt down faster than the original piece.

@Captain Obvious You're better with plastics than I am. Can you think of a hard plastic that could be drilled/milled/lathed into a replacement?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveJ said:

Don't try to get a 3D printed version. It will only melt down faster than the original piece.

What if you relay the headlights and reduce the current/heat through the switch (which is good practice anyway)?  That would presumably open up more material options.

15 minutes ago, BoldUlysses said:

What if you relay the headlights and reduce the current/heat through the switch (which is good practice anyway)?  That would presumably open up more material options.

That's generally always a good idea.

If someone comes up with a replacement for that plastic tip, I can fix 2 or 3 headlight switches that I have.

15 minutes ago, BoldUlysses said:

It's possible. The problem with most relay installations is that the owner hacks into the wiring. Now, @Captain Obvious provided me key information that would allow a relay kit to be created for the 78 that does not involve cutting any wires and could essentially be tucked away nicely. Unfortunately I don't have an unmolested 78 at my disposal to see that scheme to fruition.