IGNORED

1975 280Z 2+2 in need of a Clutch Kit, can I use it for a 5 speed ??

Killain

Hi All, I need to put a clutch in my 75 280Z and I was a little confused by all the clutch kits out there for this very early production 1975 model. It looks like it takes a 9 1/2" by a 1.24" clutch, since it is a 4 seater, and with the very inevitable switch from a 4 speed to a FS5W71B 5 speed transmission, will the OEM clutch Kit for this 4 speed by adequate for a 5 speed ?

Thank you,

Edited by Killain

I'm not positive the 2+2s have the 240mm larger flywheel but I think they do. A coupe has a 225mm flywheel.

I would go to rockauto.com or amazon.com and find your car's clutch by putting in the info and see what pops up.

I have the 225mm Exedy 6009 clutch in both mine and it works fine and is as close to OE equipment from all I read. Easy on my left leg with plenty of grip for street driving. They were $100 five years ago so probably $500 today. LOL

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Considering all of the potential problems, if I was buying a clutch kit I would just make sure that it came with a throwout bearing sleeve/collar.  That's where people run in to problems, a mismatch between the sleeve and the pressure plate.

Are you buying a flywheel too or having yours turned?  225mm flywheels are hard to find.  You might find that you'll have to go 240mm (but it should already be 240 like you said)  unless you get a Fidanza flywheel.

The transmission that you use doesn't matter as long as it's a 71B type.  That goes all the way through 1983.  But, if you decide to change the differential to match the gears of a later model 5 speed you'll find that the 1975 year has an oddball pinion flange pattern on the diff.

Edited by Zed Head
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

Considering all of the potential problems, if I was buying a clutch kit I would just make sure that it came with a throwout bearing sleeve/collar.  That's where people run in to problems, a mismatch between the sleeve and the pressure plate.

Are you buying a flywheel too or having yours turned?  225mm flywheels are hard to find.  You might find that you'll have to go 240mm (but it should already be 240 like you said)  unless you get a Fidanza flywheel.

The transmission that you use doesn't matter as long as it's a 71B type.  That goes all the way through 1983.  But, if you decide to change the differential to match the gears of a later model 5 speed you'll find that the 1975 year has an oddball pinion flange pattern on the diff.

Well I've been looking at a number of different Datsun/Nissan Clutch kit sites on the net, and it would seem the 1975 2+2 models have a 240mm flywheel, and since this car is very original and not hammered, I'm going to just get the flywheel turned. I live in something or an 'Automotive Service Desert' so anything more complicated than basic things, you have to look at getting it flat bedded to where the hell ever it needs to go. I'm not in a place that can do things, so I have to use my usual guy and he can do a clutch, and there is a Machine shop here.

Looks like your question now is "what brand"? 

Looks like the Exedy's only come with a bearing but no sleeve.  So you'll want to measure and try to hit 92mm stack height.  Or measure the old setup and match it.  It would be interesting to see how close it is to 92mm.

The 5-speed adds nothing but an overdrive gear. The overdrive gear is meant for reducing RPM at cruising speed to add fuel economy - not speed or torque. The 240mm clutch package won't care if it has a Nissan 4-speed or 5-speed behind it.

I have an L28ET with the Exedy 240mm clutch package and a 280ZX close-ratio 5-speed behind it in my 260Z.

• Agree 1