IGNORED

1973 240z Custom Wiring From Scratch

One of the factory tape wraps came off a splice on my old harness and I noticed this:

IMG_2559.jpeg

I don’t know if they did that from the factory or if this is a repair. I have a few other splices where the tape came off and they don’t have this clamp wrapped around the wires.

I’m inclined to think it’s from the factory, though.

Edited by Matthew Abate

Thanks. Another question…

Is it possible to buy the little ends that are crimped onto the wires that go into the connectors for the dash bulbs? I’m talking about the ones that are like a split cylinder with a hemisphere on one end and make contact with the bottom of the bulb.

If so, what are they called? I’m struggling to find them when I search.

I have hit a snag.

I was going to get a busman relay box with fuses to go where the voltage regulator was, but I’m realizing that between the electric fans, the headlights, and the parking lights, I would have six relays, which is going to get pretty big.

The little busman box I was looking at only has room for five micro relays, but the relays in the upgrade harness are 40 amps for the headlights and I’m not seeing any micro relays that go that high.

So now I am rethinking this whole strategy. I could keep the relays for the headlights and parking lights on the upgrade harnesses, but I am not sure where I will secure them and they wouldn’t be covered. I could get a bigger relay box, but I don’t know where to mount it.

I suppose I could forego the fuse in the box and use a box just for relays and have inline fuses as they are in the upgrade harnesses now.

What do you guys think?

@SteveJ, I’m interested in your opinion on the best brands for relays as well.

Edited by Matthew Abate

Frankly I haven't worried too much about relay brands for a very simple reason. I try to reduce current flow through the mechanical switches, and I'm not adding load. The exception would be an electric fan for the radiator.

If you're using a 20 or 30 A relay for an LED headlight circuit, you'll be well within the design parameters of most any relay you find.

• Like 1

I haven’t decided if I’m going to get the LED headlights yet. I may go with H4s and driving lights, so I want to be able to handle that. This is mostly because I don’t want to cut the headlight cups behind the bulbs to fit the LED cooler.

I am doing an electric fan so I’m going to need those 40 amps. That’s how I got on this train of thought. But I did find some 40 and 50 amp micro relays today. I’m going to see if Bosch makes any and then see what the reviews look like.

Edited by Matthew Abate