IGNORED

240 Interior sweaty little details

Richard McDonel

I have a 1971 Z, serial # 28726.  I restored it from bare stripped body to the point where it is now a very nice driver.  I'd like it to be as close to original as possible, but given that three cars -  '70, a '71 and a '73 - contributed parts, there is some confusion as to what is correct for this body.  For instance, I have the centre console that includes an ashtray and a cigarette lighter, but my dash also has a hole meant for a lighter located under the four-way flasher switch.  Which is the correct place for the lighter?  

Second question, the interior door pull handles - should my '71 have both, none, or just one on the passenger side?

The floor under the seats - just jute padding?  Or carpet? 

Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated. 

In a nut shell, the early cars had the fuse box / ashtray / lighter all in front of the shifter in the console. These cars had a flip hazard switch in the dash and another hole but it was dash material closed and had no function. This went to some point in later 1971. When the B transmission came out the ash tray was moved to behind the shifter and the dash then got the lighter as well as the flip flasher switch. In 73 there was a change in the flasher switch style. 

I think all the jute was covered with carpet, but not 100% sure. 

• Like 1

HLS30-28726 would be a 4/71 manufacture date.  You'll want to check Carl Beck's site Zhome.com for particular dates / serial numbers of changes.  Sounds like you have the correct ash tray and lighter arrangement on the console and the hole in the dash is just bare.  Pull handles on both sides is fine as would be just the passenger door.  Jute and carpet under the seats / tool covers.

• Like 1

For 1970 and I think 71 cars with plastic tool box covers, the carpet that is behind the seats only partially covers the jute under the seats. These are the only pictures I have of mine before starting the resto on my 7/70.

20180901_111717.jpg

20180901_111626.jpg

There are some pictures that might be of interest in this discussion,

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 1

I have HLS30-29817, which was also 04/71. It's in a state of disrepair/disassembly (that may be both chronic and permanent). As far as I know the interior is all original. Here are some pictures that I think cover your questions. Aside from the front floor mats and the carpet/jute for the hatch, I have the pieces shown, which I believe go behind/under the seats. If there were other pieces, I don't have them. Armrests are on both doors, but the pull is only on the passenger side.

20220520_114654_HDR.jpg

20220520_114620_HDR.jpg

20220520_114152_HDR.jpg

20220520_113427_HDR.jpg

20220520_113416_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

For comparison I pulled out the early under and behind seat jute and carpet from my 7/70 #6521 out of my crawl space. Here are few pictures, on each side there are two jute pieces and one carpet piece that goes part way under the seat and up to the plastic toolbox covers. The rear jute pieces go into the toolbox area. Looks like when the toolboxes were moved to the rear deck the jute and carpet changed, 1/71 I think.

20220520_120015.jpg

20220520_115950.jpg

20220520_115719.jpg

20220520_115659.jpg

@zed2A while back you messaged me about these jute pieces, now that I was able to get access to them is there any info you were still looking for?

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 3