IGNORED

1977, 280z with FS5W71B transmission

every now and then when the wind blows at the right direction and the atmosphere is ideal, I'd like to floor from stop light to "feel the need for speed".  I'm very mellow driver and enjoy the things they were rather than abusing it.

If it is an 82, it is not a 71C. Most likely a 71B wide ratio out of a 280ZX 2+2 NA or the close ratio out of the 280ZX coupe NA. If he is asking $1000 I would expect the close ratio version. You can easily identify the close ratio by features on the case.

If you can find the parts or like Zed Head said a donor transmission, then rebuilding this one might be the cheaper option. Again like Zed head said, this is not a common failure. You could find a trany with a blown centre bearing with the parts you need.

Unfortunately the main shaft is NOT the same in the F4W71B. You can use the FS5W71B wide or close ratio main shafts.

• Like 1

I did read your thread and others how to identify closed ratio transmission and thank you.  He said it’s from ‘82.  The photos seem to have all the characteristics of a closed ratio.   I’m keeping my options open.  $1k is quite a bit of money.   The current inflation doesn’t help either 

19 hours ago, Zed Head said:

carpartsmanual says they are.  EuroDat's list probably also.

I screwed up here and missed a "4".  Sorry about that.  They are not the same.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/power-train/transmission-gears/4-speed/from-sep-71/25

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/power-train/transmission-gears/5-speed/41

I screwed up.  Seems like the 4 and 5 speed should be the same, they have the same first 4 gear ratios, but, apparently, they are not.

Make sure that that 1982 5 speed is not a Borg Warner 5 speed.  The turbo 5 speed.  It is very different and requires a different mounting, propeller shaft, and shift lever.  Plus the ratios might not be what you want.  If the guy doesn't know it's a "B" he might be confusing it with the BW.  Did he supply a picture?  They look very different.,

image.png

3 hours ago, 240zadmire said:

I did read your thread and others how to identify closed ratio transmission and thank you.  He said it’s from ‘82.  The photos seem to have all the characteristics of a closed ratio.   I’m keeping my options open.  $1k is quite a bit of money.   The current inflation doesn’t help either 

I'd watch the wrecking yards and/or look for a damaged 5 speed 71B.  Like EuroDat said, the failure modes are fairly common.  You could probably get an undamaged main shaft and that coupler from any "blown up" 280Z or 280ZX 71B 5 speed.  

Or, buy a whole junk car with transmission.  People often just sell compete cars for not much more than a transmission costs.  I got a complete engine and many extra parts when I did that, plus made some cash back when I junked the remains to the salvage yard.

Edited by Zed Head
main not man. Go team.
  • Like 1

I can identify the 2” shifter mount, the output shaft with shorter shroud.  The diamond shape reverse lock.  The single exhaust mount point.  The 6 o’clock speedometer nut.

The housing seem to be correct unless the internal gears are swapped to wide ratio, I’d say this is closed ratio.  What do you say?

of course I still keep other options available too

6018DD77-E70F-4DAC-BFC8-C66BE0769B80.jpeg

A4346117-C37E-431D-B3C8-3B9C1E48C92D.jpeg

Seem like there's some insider at the salvage yards.  I have an app that I get notify when any Z(x) available.  Took off work early couple of times to get there and all left were broken windows, rusted body.  In the engine bay, nothing but hoses.  Are these stuff edible?

Business is booming with these "classic" cars.

1 hour ago, 240zadmire said:

I think the transmission above is still FS5W71B close ratio rather than FS5W71C.  Am I correct?

Do you know what vehicle it came from?  There are truck transmissions with similar features.  It definitely looks from the 280ZX time frame.  The only words you've supplied are "82 71C" though.  What is the full description?

He is not 100% sure whether it's a '82 or '83 280zx and provided the pictures above. 

Sorry for the confusion that I keep refer to the close ratio transmission as FS5W71C.  The photos above seem to suggest it is a FS5W71B close ratio, if I'm correctly match up the characteristic as @EuroDat PDF.

regards

82 and 83 are the same, 79-81 were more like the earlier 280Z optional 5 speed. Different gearing. 

The C looks very different around the shifter and has a lot more strength ribs on it. See pic from eBay.

The one above^^ looks like an 82-83 version.

s-l1600.jpg

On 4/21/2022 at 2:04 AM, 240zadmire said:

He is not 100% sure whether it's a '82 or '83 280zx and provided the pictures above. 

Sorry for the confusion that I keep refer to the close ratio transmission as FS5W71C.  The photos above seem to suggest it is a FS5W71B close ratio, if I'm correctly match up the characteristic as @EuroDat PDF.

regards

It's a FS5W71B close ratio. The speedo bolt is located downwards, one exhaust hanger ear on drivers side and reverse lock out on drivers side.

The 71C would have a completely different gear selector on top.

The ebay photo above is not a 71C. Looks similar, but it's a BW T5

Edited by EuroDat
  • Like 1