IGNORED

'77 280Z Dash removal

LewdMeat

Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of removing the dash to restore it. But seems like I'm stilling missing something. It won't completely come off.

I removed:

• 4x Bolts up top
  • 2x Bolts to "drop" the steering column
  • 4x Bolts connecting the dash to the trans tunnel
  • 2x Bolts holding onto the frame near the doors, one on driver and another on passenger side
  • Some bolts connecting the heater controls to the dash

Seems like the passenger side is completely loose, but I feel like the driver side still has some things connected, I'm not sure what though. Doesn't feel like a bolt or something, maybe electrical stuff?

Thank you for your help in advance!

1BADFA15-028F-4214-8425-B2FE09039C02.jpg

Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of removing the dash to restore it. But seems like I'm stilling missing something. It won't completely come off.

I removed:
  • 4x Bolts up top
  • 2x Bolts to "drop" the steering column
  • 4x Bolts connecting the dash to the trans tunnel
  • 2x Bolts holding onto the frame near the doors, one on driver and another on passenger side
  • Some bolts connecting the heater controls to the dash
Seems like the passenger side is completely loose, but I feel like the driver side still has some things connected, I'm not sure what though. Doesn't feel like a bolt or something, maybe electrical stuff?

Thank you for your help in advance!
1BADFA15-028F-4214-8425-B2FE09039C02.thumb.jpg.f09d22ab88400ac4d2462f98995472ae.jpg
You need to disconnect the speedo cable, odometer cable and all electrical harnesses. My approach was to remove the tachometer first, then through the empty tach opening proceed to disconnect the speedo and odometer cable before removing the speedo with its electrical harness. After that you should be able to pull the dash completely.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Remove the screw at the 12 o'clock position in the tach bezel and another screw under the dash at the 6 o'clock position and push it from behind (hand under the dash) until you can disconnect the tach harness. Set the tach aside. Now repeat similar procedure with the speedo removing the bezel screw and the under dash screw. Insert your hand through the empty tach opening unscrewing the speedo cable first, then push the speedo forward and loosen the small set screw holding the odometer reset cable. Finally disconnect the harness and remove the speedo altogether.

• Like 1

You do not have to remove the tach or the speedo to pull the dash. You do have to unscrew the speedometer cable from the rear of the speedo, but I've always been able to do that relatively easily with the speedo in place. Just reach your arm up behind the speedo and unscrew the coupling.

As for what it is that's holding your stuck dash in place, not sure. I used to have a list around here somewhere for what was necessary... I'll look for that list and see if I can find it.

Here are the bolts you’ll need to remove. Just did this job. All are 10 mm except the steering column.
-6 near windshield under finisher. A 1/4 socket wrench with short swivel extension worked best .
- there is one bolt on each side near kick panels. One next to hood release, screw upwards towards roof. And same on the passenger side
- 4 (2 per side) where the dash frame bolts to trans tunnel
- Speedo cable (what Captain Obvious said)
- 2 x 12mm bolts holding the steering column. They help lower the column so you can get the frame clear.
- your probably hanging up right around the steering column. Where those two 12mm bolt screw into. It’s a flat plate that the dash frame has to be lifted over.
The dash comes out easier if you rock the bottom upwards towards tje windshield and the up and out .
Don’t forget the 3 wire harness connections that going in to a panel in the passenger side firewall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree 1

Update: I got the dash this far out. Doesn't seem to be held on by some bolts anymore. Just electrical stuff I guess.

@Av8ferg I lifted the dash out of the plate holding onto the steering column

@Captain Obvious I tried to reach behind the dash like you said. Seems like I can only reach the tacho, not the speedo. Still don't know how to "unscrew" them out though. Do you mean the cables that's attached directly to the gauges or something else?

How do I get them loose? I don't mind either taking dash out with both gauges or taking them off first. I have to take them out to refit them with km/h gauges anyway.

08D6E6B8-B3FA-4E38-A926-62C011B006E0.jpg

77296647-9635-43C0-80C0-EF77F461C63E.jpg

19 minutes ago, LewdMeat said:

I tried to reach behind the dash like you said. Seems like I can only reach the tacho, not the speedo.

There is a cable that connects to the transmission. A mechanical cable, not an electrical one. Internal cable rotates inside an outer jacket. This mechanical cable spins when the car is moving and provides the "speed of travel" input to the speedo. Big metal cable right in the center of the back of the speedo. 

There is a large (15mm) white plastic collar that screws onto the back of the speedo to hold the cable to the housing.

It is possible to remove the speedo from the dash first, but it's not necessary. But if you want to do it that way, here's a pic that might help?
P1070132.JPG

And here's a pic with the dash removed. Note that you have to take the two steering column bolts completely out and let the column hang down enough to get the dash out from above it:
dash removed1.jpg

Ohhh, that looks like it. so probably the only thing holding me from yanking the dash out is this cable for the speedo? I gotta try that. Thank you!
That's what I tried to point out before. It's the odometer reset cable which is held in place by a set screw. Loosen the set screw and it will easily pull out.