IGNORED

77 280z Restoration

Av8ferg

Okay, I need an assist.   Got the bushings installed on my mustache bar.  Now I’m confused after 4 weeks which way it goes back on.   I went to the FSM and there is a discrepancy in that publication showing 2 different install directions.   Looking from the back to from the loops (with the bushings) face forward or aft .  I thought forward and then found two diagrams in the FSM that conflict which each other?  This determines if the bar goes in front or behind the rectangular brackets hanging.   See the attached diagrams from FSM.  
First shows mustache bar behind brackets and loops facing the back of car.  Last two pics show the exact opposite.  Am I missing something here?   I can’t be the fist guy confused here?  It came off as in last two pics but recall mine wasn’t seated properly either so I think a PO was messing down here before.  

A8C37E40-9190-4AE8-A13F-19D8BB413EB0.jpeg

D94633ED-89C0-4541-A483-46825B76A82B.jpeg

FB76086F-C5A6-42AB-B2B1-D97F3D398009.jpeg

37 minutes ago, S30Driver said:

The bar is installed with the loops facing toward the front of the car.

You must have had too many umbrella drinks on your vacation....  lol

I agree with you, but clearly the first drawing shows it the opposite direction.  Maybe R180s use less space so it could go the other way???

I did have a lot of umbrella drinks on vacation so if this is the only bad outcome, I can live with that!!!

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I have seen both kinds of bars. Forward and rearward bars. I would think it would depend on what bar you actually have.

Did 280's come with factory supplied rear sway bars?

Yes, he has the factory rear sway bar.

The R180 is smaller and after the early cars moved, the diif was moved to correct the angularity of the half shafts.  Maybe that has something to do with it.

• Like 1

So, the link sent by ZedHead shows a setup like first FSM drawing.   That 1977 Zapp car has a 4 speed and what appears to be a R180.   Could this be the difference?  Right now I’m installed like drawing 2 & 3 and how it came off the car. This pic below is from the Bat car.   You can clearly see the loops on the bar is facing rearward.  

62A558CD-EE22-4354-B993-381AD6BFF13C.png

I was on sway bar also.  

The mustache bar (aka transverse link) is installed oppositely for the R180 and R200.  The FSM only shows the R200 for the 280Z.  For some odd reason they ignore the R180 in the RA drawings for the 280Z, even though they include it in the Prop and Diff chapter. 

This is R200 from the 1978 280Z FSM.

image.png

This is R180 from the 1973 FSM.

image.png

• Like 2

Can anyone provide conformation that the half shafts are different lengths on a R200 stock set up.   I recall reading that the drivers side needed to be slightly shorter.  When fully extended one of mine is .5” shorter so I’m guessing that’s the drivers side.