IGNORED

door holes

qz16

We have a 1973 240z.  Both Doors have these holes.  Does anyone know what they are for?  Would appreciate any insight you can offer regarding the three holes between the door hinges.  Thanks in advance for your help.

door holes.jpg

45 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I looked at my '72 but saw nothing. I guess it's a '73 thing?

The bumper mounts got bigger, the doors got bigger intrusion bars, the hazard switch and HCP’s grew illumination, the gathering storm of safety and emissions requirements was just gathering steam. 

• Like 1

Zkars – you have always been helpful in the past – thanks again.

SteveJ thanks for the image.

I am a little slow so bear with me.  If SteveJ’s image is accurate then whatever those three bolts should be holding in place would need to be between the bolt head and the door.  I looked at the interior of the door.  All I can feel is welded captive nuts.  On the other hand, if the bar was internal to the door, then wouldn’t they have put the welded nuts on the exterior of the door and install the bolt from inside the door.  I am just guessing so I reserve the right to be wrong.

I’ve looked in the manuals that I have and can’t find anything.  Is there someplace that you can direct me to for more information?  Has anyone seen this part?  I know it is a lot of trouble, but can anyone post an image of a safety bar?  –Thanks in advance.

Is it possible that this was cut-in to production after our car was manufactured?

My last thought has to do with a TV show – “Cheers”.  The episode had to do with a prank that they pulled on the Doc. (Frasier Crane) – they took him “SNIPE” hunting – a practical joke or fool’s errand.  No offense intended, but Jim are you taking me snipe hunting?

Appreciate the help.

Regards,

ron

• Haha 2

SteveJ,
Please don't do that. Its too much trouble and there are too many opportunities to damage your door card.  Trust me I have remove the window crank clip enough times to be wary I am sure someone will remember where they saw it and post it.  Very nice of you though - thank you.

• Like 1

I needed a break from work today, so I went down to the garage. (I do enjoy work-from-home.)

I don't know if these photos will help much. It was a challenge getting the camera inside the door.

Inside leading edge of the door - you can see the lower two bolts.

20220201_123242.jpg

Lower edge of what I assume is the reinforcement panel

20220201_123428.jpg

Near the door latch

20220201_123506.jpg

It only took a couple of minutes to remove the door card, and no door cards were harmed in the process of getting these photos.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I went Snipe hunting once, just once though. Me and my cousins out in my uncle's pasture for hours holding feed sacks saying "here Snipe, Snipe, Snipe. My aunt finally came and got us. LOL

Since my older siblings pulled enough pranks on me growing up, I didn't get fooled by a snipe hunt because I could smell a rat. 😉 

• Haha 1