IGNORED

1976 280z won't start.

El-pelukas

Hey people, I'm new to this page. I just bought a 280z and I ive been working on it. I had it running for the past 3 days. I noticed it had a Air leak after the air flow meter so I drove to the parts store got some hose, then drove back installed it. now the car won't even start. I need help! I have tried everything I can to get it to run,20211023_141332.jpg20211023_141420.jpg it wont even start on starting fluid. Have spark in all the plugs.  

20211023_165132.jpg

not sure what is going on with the gas station filling up. I presume its some kind of fuel cell? If that is the case are there any other modifications? if there are help will be limited to statements like "have you got spark" etc...

Typically you should start by reading the factory service manuals. These cars have a very simple fuel injection system, as well as ignition system (by modern car standards).

what they don't have is OBD so you have to follow a procedure using test equipment like a volt ohm meter (aka digital multimeter) even a test light will check a lot of stuff.

Saying you tried everything is not much help, exactly what did you try?

Lets start with the basics it worked somewhat until you did something, can you undo what you did and try again?

assuming it never worked, you should start with a compression test, then check the timing (spark and valve), are the spark plugs actually firing in the correct order, are you getting fuel to the injectors, is the fuel pressure correct, are the injectors clicking are the passing fuel when clicking...

again you should read the FSM until you know it very well, then follow the checks, this is the best way to resolve the issues. The only thing not really covered is age related problems so make sure the ground connections are good and the wire harness is free of corrosion, those can give readings that are hard to figure out when doing the checks.

10 hours ago, El-pelukas said:

I had it running for the past 3 days. I noticed it had a Air leak after the air flow meter so I drove to the parts store got some hose, then drove back installed it. now the car won't even start.

If it ran before it seems like nothing major would have happened just from disconnecting and reconnecting the AFM hose.  I don't know that I would start messing with things that you haven't touched.  Focus on the area you were working in.

Looks like you disconnected the throttle valve sensor for some reason.  What else did you disconnect?  One strong possibility is that you disconnected the water temperature sensor and are flooding it.  That would be one reason starting fluid doesn't work.

I agree with Dave, that internal fuel tank looks scary.  Reminds me of what I saw in a wrecking yard once.  A full size fuel tank strapped inside the car, a Z, with hoses running through holes up to the engine.  A firebomb waiting to happen.

I've seen flexible aluminum hose used before. Can't remember if it was cloths dryer exhaust hose or water heater vent pipe, sorry. If the original rubber one isn't too bad you could seal it with silicone. We used Shoe Goo back in the 80s bought at sporting goods stores for fixing tennis shoes. Walmart has it online, not sure about in store.

Screenshot_20211025-142517_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by siteunseen