IGNORED

Removing E-brake cable clip stuggles

paulreverex

Hopefully I got the PM to go through.  Not much of a computer communicator.  Parts catalog says 4 and do vaguely remember pulling those same clips off the drum end quite some time ago.  Thanks, John.  Hope to hear back from you on the PM.  I have a day off today so I will check it in between odds and ends errands and projects today.

I got all four clips off! However at the wheelbase I am not able to slip the cable through the small side slot, I believe because the spring on the cable is pulled so taught.. prob the reason my E brake was not working haha. Well I think I am gonna cut it, you guys have any suggestions on what to cut it with? 

Thanks for your time!

1 hour ago, paulreverex said:

I got all four clips off! However at the wheelbase I am not able to slip the cable through the small side slot, I believe because the spring on the cable is pulled so taught.. prob the reason my E brake was not working haha. Well I think I am gonna cut it, you guys have any suggestions on what to cut it with? 

Don’t cut it. 

It was together before, so it should go together again. You just need to work out the puzzle of getting things in the right place for assembly.

As @Patcon says, pictures will help us help you.

I also am not quite sure about the details either.  The cable may just be corrosion seized into the slotted portion.  If you are wanting to install a new cable, a die grinder or Dremel too with a cut off wheel will quickly slice through the cable.  I did that up near the horseshoe shaped cable guide just to get the cable detached and out of the way so that I could remove, clean, and paint the bracket, control rod, and related pieces.  Good luck with a tough project.  There are are a lot of parts and pieces in that whole handbrake mechanism that need to work properly.  Thanks, John-Lugoff, SC

2 hours ago, paulreverex said:

Attached are photos of the spring on the cable that is too compressed to slide through. two photos of the old cable and one of the new cable. 

Thank you for your replies

IMG_8005.jpg

IMG_8006.jpg

IMG_8007.jpg

What @Patcon said. 

Release the tension on the cable by backing the adjustment off. 

On 11/6/2021 at 8:46 PM, paulreverex said:

The cable is completely loose and detached from the hand brake, cable is off the Equalizer . I think the cable is seized somewhere.  

If the cable is seized inside the sheath, and you aren’t reusing it, then cut the cable to get it out.