IGNORED

Found a FS5W71B but I could use some advice.

Jeff Berk

My 260Z started life with a 4-speed manual. In the early 1980's, a new engine and a used 5-speed was dropped in. 

The 5-speed began having problems and was beyond rebuilding. I tried to replace it with another 5-speed and it was too beat to be rebuilt. I attempted to get the 5-speed up and running with some components out of a 4-speed but the gear lash made more noise than my exhaust so I went with another 4-speed I purchased for $23.

My car is in the shop for the next few months waiting on a camshaft (but that's another story) but in the mean time, this has popped up on facebook marketplace:

Also have a (83) 2wd long tail fs5w71b 5 speed trans and a (85) short tail fs5w71c for a 4x4, $100 obo a trans.

I e-mailed him and obtained more information.

This hasn’t been out of the truck more than 4 months, been inside this whole time. I have a short tail from a 4x4 with 212k, and a long tail with about 70k on it. I used Lucas in the long tail and when hot 5th would give a little buzz as it went in, but first 35 years of its life it never went more than 35mph or even used 5th. It was a maintenance truck till I bought it.

The seller told me that there may be a difference in the bell housings between the pickup and Z car; however, I have a couple of bell housings sitting around. 

Considering how rare 5-speeds are getting, would it be wise to pick this one up at $100?

Note, I won't hold it against anyone if this transmission turns out to be another dud.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Berk

1 hour ago, Jeff Berk said:

long tail with about 70k on it. I used Lucas in the long tail and when hot 5th would give a little buzz as it went in, but first 35 years of its life it never went more than 35mph or even used 5th. It was a maintenance truck till I bought it.

This "long-tail" sounds great.  I've not read of any of these 71B's being longer than a ZX 5 speed but I have read of the shorter truck 5 speeds.

If you're unsure about length ask the guy to measure it end to end.  You should have enough remains around to compare and be sure.  I'll bet it's ZX length.  Get some Redline MT90 in it and it will probably make you cry after all you've been through.

Just noticed the part about the bellhousing.  I think that's an L series versus V6 issue. 

2nd edit - Rockauto does not show a V6 for a Nissan pickup in those years.  So they should both be L series bolt pattern. 

Edit - picked the wrong year before.  Corrected.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1983,720+pickup

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1985

Carry on...

Edited by Zed Head

If the FS5W71B is out of a ZX coupe, dan most probably a "close ratio" and wel worth getting for $100.

You won't find much use for the 71C stubby..

If it came out of a truck, than it bolted up to a Z series motor. They have the same bell housing bolt pattern as the L series but tilt the other direction.

Here is a simple instruction to help identify the 71B. And the bell housing pattern.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EuroDat said:

Z series motor. They have the same bell housing bolt pattern as the L series but tilt the other direction.

I did not know this.  I've seen the Z series in the wrecking yards but never noticed that it was tilted the other way.  Wonder why they did that.  They have two spark plugs per cylinder also and 8 terminals in the distributor cap.  It's an odd engine.  Apparently they were called NAP-Z here in the states.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Z_engine

Note: All USDM gasoline Z20, Z22 and Z24 engines were known as NAPS-Z (NAPZ or NAPS-Z Nissan Anti-Pollution System), NAPZ motors had dual spark-plugs (two per cylinder) except the pre-82 versions and latest versions of the Z24i as fitted to the Pathfinder. All NAPZ engines sold in California reportedly had dual plug heads regardless of the year.

image.png

Edited by Zed Head

19 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

I did not know this.  I've seen the Z series in the wrecking yards but never noticed that it was tilted the other way.  Wonder why they did that.  They have two spark plugs per cylinder also and 8 terminals in the distributor cap.  It's an odd engine.  Apparently they were called NAP-Z here in the states.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Z_engine

Note: All USDM gasoline Z20, Z22 and Z24 engines were known as NAPS-Z (NAPZ or NAPS-Z Nissan Anti-Pollution System), NAPZ motors had dual spark-plugs (two per cylinder) except the pre-82 versions and latest versions of the Z24i as fitted to the Pathfinder. All NAPZ engines sold in California reportedly had dual plug heads regardless of the year.

image.png

The NAP-Z is a North American Production Z series engine. Not sure why they made an American dedicated Z series.

It's tilted to reduce height for the 720 trucks etc. Some people say it is to clear the brake booster, but I think that is more a  coincidence on the RHD cars. The brake booster is on the other side in LHD cars.