IGNORED

New Member,New to Z's

SJZ

It has 3 into 1 headers on it so I’m guessing all the emission stuff got removed when the headers were installed. As far as rust goes I haven’t had it on a lift yet for a good inspection. The battery area appears rust free so I’m taking that as good indication the car isn’t a rot box.

• Agree 2

I just joined this community having bought last May a 76 280 that was sitting in a garage for 39 years.

Everything worked! Lights, Turn Signal, Hazards, Interior lights, Antenna and engine turned over no problem. It was amazing , original Toyo Z tires.

But, it did need a tank cleaning and a heat sensor switch some other minor stuff. But because I didn’t do it my self it was a little spendy.

Your Z looks like it’s in great shape and a 240 is the Holy Grail. I hope it’s as resilient as mine in spite of sitting so long. Looks like it is from photo. 

As a complete novice and knowing the little I know from tinkering on my car in H.S. and what I’ve learned with this Z, check the little inexpensive stuff out first. 

My Z Master Air Flow was replaced when it was likely something as simple as the Heat Sensor 🤷‍♂️.

Tank cleaning can be tricky given the baffle in the tank on the Fuel Injected Z’s.

Good Luck!

Beautiful car.

8D43D1AA-F8F3-4435-A0BF-4ABE9300FA01.jpeg

Edited by JNKYRDZ

I won’t be digging into the car for a couple months at least, strictly in research mode right now. I did order a set of Retro Rewind 15x7 wheels and new pair of fresh air ducts that were missing in the engine bay. Right now the brake and clutch pedal go to the floor but the engine is free. I’ll be dropping the tank and going through the fuel system first then get it running. Then I’ll address the clutch and finally the brakes.

• Like 1

We encountered Fuzed clutch plate to flywheel. Dislodged without pulling trans.

Master & slave cyl.

Injectors.

if you’re not otherwise aware behind the seats under the forward carpeting there are two storage boxes where you should find a tire repair jack and tools.

My tire jack was MIA but I did find three yellowed scraps of paper with 867-5309 like tel. numbers with out area codes written in woman’s handwriting underneath the center console ash try.

Edited by JNKYRDZ

I figured the disc might be stuck to the flywheel, something else to look at. Yes I found the storage bins with the tire tools and wheel chocks present. Master cylinder is bone dry and the left rear drum was dragging badly. Had to remove the drums just so we could push it around.

• 5 weeks later...

Update: Pulled both carbs and put kits in them, jets were seized in both carb. Drained out old fuel in tank. Changed oil and filter, pulled valve cover and lubed valvetrain. Cranked engine over with plugs out until oil flowed to head. Put new NGKs in as well as new wires, cap and rotor. Engine started on about 3rd crank and sounds decent. Only let it run about a minute as I pulled the radiator out to be cleaned and checked. Next up: dig into clutch.

• Like 2

Welcome to the fold, SJZ.  I'm an original owner on one of my cars.  You've got a nice car on which to start a project.  There are a lot of us "midwestern" S30 owners who will be happy to assist you with experiences and advice and then hope to see you in our areas once she's drivable.