IGNORED

Monte Carlo 240z Front Bumper

Tweeds

@Patcon They might have kissed the corner just before the picture was taken since - would be some real tight driving if so. Could also be some dips in the road we can't see. Even so, it would take some power to keep those wheels off the ground for long. 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 8/12/2021 at 2:38 AM, Tweeds said:

Monte Ze.jpg

Some of the coolest looking z's I've ever seen are the old Rally z's, and the coolest among these was the one from Monte Carlo, in my opinion. I've been looking into getting some driving lights if not now, then somewhere down the road. However, there is one big problem - fitment. I've seen two other ways of fitting driving lights: 

A.) Putting them on the hood of the car like from the Safari Rally.

Safari Ze.jpg

B.) Similar to Monte Carlo by fitting them past the radiator, except mounting them on or behind what is best described as a brush guard.

CC Z.jpg

(I've also seen a third way where the lights are fixed on the roof of the car, or else a roof rack.)

There is a certain sacrifice that needs to be made to get proper driving lights to fit - either you add something to mount them on (like the brush guard or a roof rack), or else you slap them somewhere on the body (like the Safari Rally). Now, I do like the way these two look, however they aren't something I'd want to do to my own z because they alter the basic silhouette of the car more than I would be willing to. The Monte Carlo Rally Z seems to be a perfect medium in my mind. It has the practicality of extra driving lights without changing the basic lines of the car too much.

How the balance was struck by the Monte Carlo Rally Z is, from my understanding, owing to the front bumper - it's basically cut lower from OEM to allow driving lights while still allowing room for the hood to be opened fully. As far as I know, this was basically a one off thing for and only for rally z's (you couldn't get it at a Datsun dealership). Now, If I only wanted extra light, I could maybe put a lightbar across the stock bumper to not effect the hood's opening, but a light bar just doesn't have the same aesthetic as circular driving lights - in fact, a light bar would just be too contrasting to the old look of a z to me. To put it plain and blunt - the Monte Carlo Z looks badass as all Hell to me.

So, my question is how one (me) could go about finding such a bumper, and/or what else ought to be kept in mind when installing that bumper, or installing/fitting the driving lights as well. I haven't found much information online surrounding this topic besides this thread, as well as a few one offs that mention the bumper or fitment. At the end of the day, I could probably get a replica fabricated (which I'm not above), but that's no good if I don't know precisely what ought to be fabricated.

Great topic.

I am doing this as well on my 73 restoration, and didnt realize until now that there was a name for this. I have been looking at my bumper for months and have decided I will mount the bumper, then measure and cut and weld the uprights while mounted on the car. I plan to use some hefty flat bars for the verticals and when its all together have it all chromed. 

I have some vintage NOS Hella clear lamps and two vintage amber lamps to to have 4 lamps across the front. I also plan on using the stock over rider as well.

Ever since seeing the rally cars from back in the day, I thought those bumpers were the coolest thing. The low profile of the hood and bumper arrangement lend nicely to tuck the lamps in there for a daily driver.

Edited by DC871F
  • Like 1

@DC871F I agree - the Monte Carlo bumper lends such a nice look to the Z. Shoot me a PM - I'd love to come help you put it all together, and it'd be a good way to prepare myself for making my own. Plus, I'd finally get to meet another Z enthusiast in person! I live about an hour out of Jacksonville. 

Edited by Tweeds
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, zKars said:

I really like the look of those bumpers!

http://bumperautomobile.com/datsun-bumpers.html

Maybe the new bumpers from these guys with their new rubber-less. over riders would make the perfect starting point. Hate to chop up an original if you don‘t have to.

They do look like some quality reproductions. However, the company is based in Vietnam and they don't have their prices listed on the website. I'm not sure then if it would be cheaper in the end to buy an OEM bumper or one from this company after shipping costs and all that. It'd be nice to hear from someone who's bought from the company before. My plan was to keep and eye out for a bumper at a reasonable price on something like Ebay or Craigslist so I can keep my original intact.

I purchased from bumper automobile. Good quality, Reputable folks

Right around $710 including shipping. Amy should be the person that responds to your email. Very fast by the way. Mention the club and ask about pricing. Chrome over Stainless steel construction 

I ordered the 240z bumpers. You can order them with or without the license plate bracket up front. Same for the rubber. If you choose not to have the holes in the bumper they still include the rubber in case you change your mind later.

On 8/12/2021 at 5:59 AM, HS30-H said:

As part of the homologation process, the 'Drop Bumper' was in fact given a factory part number and made available to the general public. Part number was 62650-E8700. 

In Works rally team use there was a fairly complex arrangement of braces and supports for the lamp units themselves; the lamp mounting brackets were braced to the front valance as well as the centre part of the bumper, and the whole affair was linked to the sump guard and the sump guard mounts. Little of that would be relevant to, or necessary on, a road car but care in bracing the lamps is quite important in order to avoid 'beam shake'/flicker, as well as stress fractures. 

You'd struggle (to put it mildly) to find an original E8700 bumper in live captivity, but you could make your own version and this has been done quite successfully by others.

Photos save a thousand words:

E8700 Bumper-JAF-1.jpg

Drop Bumper-1.JPG

Drop Bumper-2.JPG

I didnt think about extending the mount outside the bumper to steady the lights, makes sense. More holes......

Edited by DC871F

18 hours ago, Tweeds said:

@DC871F I agree - the Monte Carlo bumper lends such a nice look to the Z. Shoot me a PM - I'd love to come help you put it all together, and it'd be a good way to prepare myself for making my own. Plus, I'd finally get to meet another Z enthusiast in person! I live about an hour out of Jacksonville. 

I'm still a little ways off on the bumper, car still on rotisserie with metal work. I started a build thread for it, but I'm not that diligent on keeping up with pics. I find myself working on it then realize I didnt take any pictures. I still welcome the visit, at least for moral support. I'll send a PM.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 6:05 AM, HS30-H said:

Here's an example of a self-built replica 'Drop Bumper' and lights, on one of the VZ Program cars which went to Japan. I've seen the car in person and it is very well done:

VZ car Japan-1.jpg

That is a beautiful car.