IGNORED

Reproduction E-Brake Cable failure -70-78 Z

zKars

An early Z car I did a restoration over the winter came back in this week for “tweeks and tightens” after going back into service since May.

Owner said the e-brake didn’t work anymore. I had installed the reproduction cable available from Motor Sport Auto. 

https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/24-5151-1

Discovered a major problem with at least this one, but I bet it’s more wide spread. I will tag Joseph@zstore or however you do that so they are made aware.

@Joseph@TheZStore

This is a picture from MSA’s website.

ED072A44-3EC3-42BF-8360-7832C2DEF826.png

Edited by zKars

On to the issue. 

The cable is not a perfect reproduction of the original as far as the design of the ends and swag fittings, but appears well made. 

Got under the car this morning and found one of the retaining C clips gone of the right side of the body up above the diff nose where the sheath end is mounted to the body. No wonder pulling the handle didn’t result in any wheel e-brake tension. Ok, why did the clip come loose?  

Also found the C clip and clevis pin GONE on the left side at the wheel end too. Ok, what the **** is going on? 

Grabbed a new C clip and wiggled up to the top mount and tried to put it back in. No way, there is about 1/2” too much slop in the fitting, no way the clip is going to stay in place. 

Closer inspection, and AHA!!

6F758AFF-F17D-49D4-9682-D8991386AB08.jpeg

There is a collar on each swagged end, that sets the stop distance to the C clip groove. That collar is punched on two sides at a flattened thinned area to “lock” it to the inner core. Well not so much in this case. The right one is free as a bird and slid back as far as it can go and the left one has started as well. Lovely quality control. On a couple I can “just” see the mating dimple on the core, simply not enough punch strength or depth.

Can’t see that punch lock lasting very long on any of these. Some slightly better ones that are working are likely a couple of pulls away from failure. And we all know how much “fun” it is to work on the cable under the car,  there is hardly nothing around it to get in the way is there….  Grumble…  Thank god this car is all fresh so I can spin threads and nuts by hand. 

Edited by zKars
  • Like 2

At the wheel end, the one with the missing C clip had a slipped collar too. 

So what to do? Well I did a permanent fix. I repositioned the collars in the right spot, and welded them down. No more of this  horse **** 

The “right spot” by the way is exactly 0.1 inch back from the groove. Measured a real stock cable to get that value.

07CD5533-3A14-4800-A0BB-D05C4328DAA8.jpeg

Quick weld, water to cool, do another etc. There is a plastic sheath on the cable so have to keep my cool. I put some dual wall shrink tube over it as well for a bit of water proofing.

• Like 3

I ran into this - yes they are junk . What pissed me off more was it took MSA weeks to decide whether to refund my money AFTER I sent it back . I guess only one person can make that decision . I ordered one from ZCD . One piece ends - shouldn’t fail .

I can’t believe MSA still sells parts like this . Do they test the parts ? 

4 minutes ago, madkaw said:

I ran into this - yes they are junk . What pissed me off more was it took MSA weeks to decide whether to refund my money AFTER I sent it back . I guess only one person can make that decision . I ordered one from ZCD . One piece ends - shouldn’t fail .

I can’t believe MSA still sells parts like this . Do they test the parts ? 

Yes, it’s disturbing that they knew it was a problem and still sell them. I’ll have a chat with the owner. This is baloney

5 minutes ago, madkaw said:

Maybe they use to sell those

The Hybridz thread was March of last year.  Maybe ZCD follows the threads.  He doesn't comment but they might have an effect.  The forum concept is working!

Well, been an issue for while from several vendors then. 

The picture i see and can barely zoom into enough on ZCD look like different ends than the ones referenced from MSA or the earlier problem ones from ZCD. 

I wrote MSA a bit of a scathing e-mail yesterday. Will let you know their response, if any.