IGNORED

New electric fan wiring preventing car from starting

bravemushi260z

Hey guys I just got back home after doing some work on the 260z. When I bought the car it did not have a fan or fan clutch (honestly no idea why), so after I finally got the car running and the brakes and clutch in order my last step was to install a fan, the prices were higher than i expected so I just decided to do a electric fan setup. So I bought a Hayden electric fan relay wiring kit, and a small 12inch fan (with plans on adding a second one soon, I just really want to drive the car. I believed I had everything wired up correctly, relay to ground and positive battery terminal, one wire to ignition coil, one wire to thermostat, and one wire to the fan (fan was grounded on one of the radiator bolts). I go to start the car to see if the fan works, but the car cranks, but won't start. I remembered that I forgot to plug in the ignition coil again and after plugging it in the same problem continued. I wasn't sure what was going on. I kept trying, and the battery eventually gave out so I jump started it, but this time I unplugged the wire from the relay to the ignition coil and it fired right up. While the car was running I tried to hold the wire from the relay to the ignition coil to the pos terminal on the coil, and as soon as i did the car quickly started to die. So to me it seems that somehow the wire coming from the fan relay is drawing power from the coil. But i have two questions about this, number one: if the car is already running, theoretically couldnt I unplug the ignition coil and it keep running? second: could it be a bad ground somewhere? I am a little worried about the ground on the radiator bolt but I'm not sure. Ive attached an image of the relay kit and the wiring diagram for it belowHayden Temperature Switch-3647 - The Home Depot.html

p-475-3647-fan-controllers.pdf

48 minutes ago, bravemushi260z said:

Hey guys I just got back home after doing some work on the 260z. When I bought the car it did not have a fan or fan clutch (honestly no idea why), so after I finally got the car running and the brakes and clutch in order my last step was to install a fan, the prices were higher than i expected so I just decided to do a electric fan setup. So I bought a Hayden electric fan relay wiring kit, and a small 12inch fan (with plans on adding a second one soon, I just really want to drive the car. I believed I had everything wired up correctly, relay to ground and positive battery terminal, one wire to ignition coil, one wire to thermostat, and one wire to the fan (fan was grounded on one of the radiator bolts). I go to start the car to see if the fan works, but the car cranks, but won't start. I remembered that I forgot to plug in the ignition coil again and after plugging it in the same problem continued. I wasn't sure what was going on. I kept trying, and the battery eventually gave out so I jump started it, but this time I unplugged the wire from the relay to the ignition coil and it fired right up. While the car was running I tried to hold the wire from the relay to the ignition coil to the pos terminal on the coil, and as soon as i did the car quickly started to die. So to me it seems that somehow the wire coming from the fan relay is drawing power from the coil. But i have two questions about this, number one: if the car is already running, theoretically couldnt I unplug the ignition coil and it keep running? second: could it be a bad ground somewhere? I am a little worried about the ground on the radiator bolt but I'm not sure. Ive attached an image of the relay kit and the wiring diagram for it belowHayden Temperature Switch-3647 - The Home Depot.html

p-475-3647-fan-controllers.pdf 674.9 kB · 1 download

Which terminal on the coil are you connected to?

11 minutes ago, bravemushi260z said:

Im connected to the positive side of the coil

Don't attach it to the ignition coil. When you do, the fan controller grounds the ignition, killing it.

Attach the yellow wire to a source that is hot when the key is in the on position.

6 minutes ago, bravemushi260z said:

Im connected to the positive side of the coil

If you have a stock setup on your ignition, you are wiring it contrary to the instructions you posted.

So, here is how you should have the control box wired to the car according to the instructions:

1. Black - Grounded
  2. Green - Nothing (assuming you don't have AC)
  3. Yellow - To the black/white wire at the ballast resistor
  4. Red - Battery

Note, if you have the red and yellow reversed, the car will probably die/not start because you are trying to draw too much current from the ignition circuit.

This part might be confusing.  It's just poorly written instructions.  It should say "switched power" or "ignition switch".  One of those lost-in-translation things.  Plus the fact they're calling a power source a "signal". It's not a signal.

image.png

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

This part might be confusing.  It's just poorly written instructions.  It should say "switched power" or "ignition switch".  One of those lost-in-translation things.  Plus the fact they're calling a power source a "signal".  It's not a signal.

image.png

In controls vernacular the yellow wire is a "signal". In this case, the ignition being on signals the fan that it is okay to run if the engine is hot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay got it, I’ll connect the yellow to the ballast resistor wire tomorrow before I get started, I see now how I am grounding it. I’ll test the wires this time with the key on to also make sure I am getting the right one Thank you guys so much for your help 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveJ said:

In controls vernacular the yellow wire is a "signal". In this case, the ignition being on signals the fan that it is okay to run if the engine is hot.

I knew I should have taken those courses.  I didn't like the instructor and had other options.

I modified my post.  I would think of the temperature switch as the signal.

To be frank though, I'm not even really sure what parts Mushi is working with.  Does he have the full controller or just a temperature switch running (signalling) a relay?  Unclear.

Just to fill things out.  It seems to fit the subject. Not too late, for me.  - https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/systems/electronic-system.html

Edited by Zed Head