IGNORED

77 280z. Rear hatch side bracket has this brown, cork material. Is that oem material that has eroded since 77 or is that bushing material?

JggyZ

20210506_123930.jpg 

I did notice under the brown material is a screw.  Wondering if that brown cork material is OEM?  Stuffed sponge? Wine cork?  All opinions are welcome.

Edited by JggyZ
Spelling

Deleted everything I had here before because it was wrong.

Here's a pic from ebay with a pair of those in pretty good shape. I think this is what they looked like at one time. Not sure if they changed the color of the rubbery nugget over the years though.

stoppers.jpg

Edited by Captain Obvious
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Terrapin Z said:

It looked like this when new. Still available from Nissan. $21.47 each

stopper.jpeg

Yup them be the ones! Rear hatch post.  Recommend I replace it based on that corklike mush sitting in the pocket?  Can I just get rid of that brown stuff and keep the post as is (not rusty).

5 hours ago, JggyZ said:

Yup them be the ones! Rear hatch post.  Recommend I replace it based on that corklike mush sitting in the pocket?  Can I just get rid of that brown stuff and keep the post as is (not rusty).

I would. At least contact 240zrubberparts and see if he can make a set for you. He lists "Out of stock" a lot, but will make things if requested. 

They hold the spring in place and act as a stopper for the white plastic slide piece. The little feet on the sides hold them in and often break off. Used ones like CO's eBay set would also be a way to go.

I might even have an extra set. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Terrapin Z said:

I would. At least contact 240zrubberparts and see if he can make a set for you. He lists "Out of stock" a lot, but will make things if requested. 

They hold the spring in place and act as a stopper for the white plastic slide piece. The little feet on the sides hold them in and often break off. Used ones like CO's eBay set would also be a way to go.

I might even have an extra set. 

Appreciate the lookover.  Let me see if I can just replace these with still manufactured OEM Rear posts.  

Edited by JggyZ