IGNORED

Carpenter bee traps

siteunseen

I've got some on delivery for like Wednesday. A tennis racket works great. Also carpenter bees return to where they were born. So ignore them at your own risk.

One of my sheds seems to attract them badly.

We'll see how the new traps work. They weren't real cheap!

• Like 1

They're easy to make, quick too. I made 3 in 30 minutes. Didn't have to leave my house either so very inexpensive. They're $10 on Marketplace.

It took a couple of days for them to get close, they nervous little turds. LOL

I hadn't tried honey either. They just crawled to their death. I almost bought a cheap racket but this worked. We used to splatter bees that were on the clover in the yard with tennis rackets.

They're harmless.  They don't even have a real stinger.  They just poke you with their egg-laying prong.  They don't have nests to protect, all they want to do is make some holes, lay some eggs, fill the hole with some pollen, seal them up, then die.

• Like 1

They can be harmless but in my part of the country they do incredible damage to houses. Destroying wooden siding, fascia boards and trim. I don't mind them as long as they don't eat my house.

You eat my house, then it's on...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Patcon said:

They can be harmless but in my part of the country they do incredible damage to houses. Destroying wooden siding, fascia boards and trim. I don't mind them as long as they don't eat my house.

You eat my house, then it's on...

One of my Z friends around here lives in a log cabin home. He has quite a battle on his hands with those bastards.

It's easy to make the traps, Charles. You probably have all of the material you need.

1. Mason jar with lid
  2. 6 inch piece of 4x4
  3. Drill with 1/2 inch paddle bit
  4. Hook to hang the trap.
  5. Glue or screws
  6. Sugar, water, and vinegar

All you need to do

1. Attach the mason jar lid to the end of the 4x4
  2. Use the paddle bit to drill through the mason jar lid and into the 4x4 about 4 to 5 inches
  3. About 1 inch up from the bottom of the 4x4 (bottom is where you attached the lid), drill up at a 45 degree angle
  4. Attach the hook to the top of the 4x4.
  5. Put some sugar, water, and vinegar in the mason jar 
  6. Attach the mason jar to the 4x4
  7. Hang the trap under an eave
  8. Periodically empty the trap and replace the bait
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, siteunseen said:

That's the way I view squirrels. Damage my house you get lead poisoning. They're cute from a distance but up close, huge teeth and balls and Wolf worms.

635797248162704913-1011botfly01.jpg

I can't fire gunpowered weapons in my city so I have a 1,200 ft.lbs. break barrel pellet gun I use. It's the sniper of air powered rifles. Lead with BBs as the sting.

20210418_141547.jpg

20210418_142119.jpg

44 minutes ago, Patcon said:

is it accurate?

Oh yeah. I bought the $50 scope at Academy Sports. The gun was only $100. LOL

I zero it in about once a year. That swimming noodle slincer makes a big difference too. I can stand in the kitchen and shoot without scaring the others away. I've shot family reunions and they never knew what hit them. I have to feed the red hawks and foxes back there. My neighbors are on board with this. The gray squirrels are rodents that get in my garage through the dog door and store nuts in my air boxes on the Camry and 280Z. They get in my neighbors attic and teethe on the romex wire covering. Hate those bastards like Carl and his "golf fers". LOL

Edited by siteunseen
  • Haha 1