IGNORED

Removing headliner and diamond vinyl in prep for painting

astrohog

Getting ready to paint my 1971 240z and am dreading pulling the headliner and diamond vinyl as they are original and in fantastic condition.  Is there any chance they will be able to be re-used or should I plan on purchasing new ones?  

If I have to buy new ones, can someone kindly point me to the most authentic pieces that are currently available?

Thanks in advance!

Why would you need to remove these items if they are perfect?  Cover them in plastic and paint the car!.

you won’t find an original or good facsimile of the headliner or diamond vinyl that would pass as a good

reproduction, but I could be wrong.  The foam on the back of the headliner will tear.

I’ve pulled the diamond vinyl off and reapplied it, I used 3m spray adhesive to get it to stick. If I was to redo it I might use a combo of spray adhesive, and contact cement around the edges to get a better hold.

no idea with the headliner, I’m trying to get someone to come over and help me install it into the car.

made you planning on respraying the inside too?