IGNORED

Carb issue

Alright did some work and got some results.

I had a three screw su carb butterfly assembly so I used that to replace my messed up one. Worried that this might cause an air leak on the sides of the carb because it felt slippery. Linkages should be fine because I removed all the brass pieces off the 3 screw and used the 4 screw linkage pieces. I only used the chrome piece that holds the butterfly.

Set the floats to 14mm in the front and 16mm in the back. Had to set the idle air screw to 3 turns. Only way it would start. RPM rises slowly so there is an air leak somewhere. I think the issue with the front carb not having enough fuel was due to an air leak like you all said. I took the manifold off and the manifold had bits and pieces of old gasket which I guess I forgot to take off when I put on the new gasket. Genius. The manifold was filled with fuel but it wasn't all going into the engine. You could see the ways it was escaping on the gasket. Just have to tighten the intake nuts a little more to stop the vacuum leak. 

I haven't tried fine tuning just yet because my neighborhood is complaining about the smell. Ill keep you all posted. 

• Like 2

My neighbour’s wife too once came out in tears complaining about the fumes when I was tuning mine on the driveway. She was desperately concerned about the environment. I said nothing about her old Land Rover defender with a tractor engine spewing black smoke in the mornings LOL

Sometimes you just have to tune on the side of the road for the sake of peace!

Following your progress with interest, you’re doing great. When I saw that butterfly, I was thinking you had to deal with that!

8 hours ago, AK260 said:

My neighbour’s wife too once came out in tears complaining about the fumes when I was tuning mine on the driveway. She was desperately concerned about the environment. I said nothing about her old Land Rover defender with a tractor engine spewing black smoke in the mornings LOL

Sometimes you just have to tune on the side of the road for the sake of peace!

Following your progress with interest, you’re doing great. When I saw that butterfly, I was thinking you had to deal with that!

I live in Huntington Beach, California. We have a lot of that HOA here although my particular neighborhood isn't HOA, a lot of people think it is just because they either lived here their whole lives or because they paid big money to live here. We also have some weird laws like if you have a non operable car in your drive way and it "makes a smell" and the neighbors complain, the city can tow the car if you don't move it. It's fair in a way but annoying when your neighbors threatens you with it. I moved it in my parents garage (I'm 20) thankfully so now I can enjoy the exhaust smell all to myself! 

• Like 2

I live in Huntington Beach, California. We have a lot of that HOA here although my particular neighborhood isn't HOA, a lot of people think it is just because they either lived here their whole lives or because they paid big money to live here. We also have some weird laws like if you have a non operable car in your drive way and it "makes a smell" and the neighbors complain, the city can tow the car if you don't move it. It's fair in a way but annoying when your neighbors threatens you with it. I moved it in my parents garage (I'm 20) thankfully so now I can enjoy the exhaust smell all to myself! 

Cant you leave it in the garage and duct the exhaust onto the driveway so that you are on the right side of the letter of the law? :p

You have a Z at 20!? Man you’re a cool dude! When I was 20 I had a gold (yes gold!!) 1.1L Ford Fiesta Popular Plus (the plus made it go 50% faster in your mind) with not much more than 54hp and 63lbft out of the factory! So really more like 45 real HP! And 0-60 in 14.8 secs with a tail wind!! Would have killed to be able to get insured on a Z at that time! Our car insurance for sub 25 year olds is criminally expensive in the UK.

80011c81089924fa20d1bf17ee7b1da4.jpg
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AK260 said:

Cant you leave it in the garage and duct the exhaust onto the driveway so that you are on the right side of the letter of the law? 😛

You have a Z at 20!? Man you’re a cool dude! When I was 20 I had a gold (yes gold!!) 1.1L Ford Fiesta Popular Plus (the plus made it go 50% faster in your mind) with not much more than 54hp and 63lbft out of the factory! So really more like 45 real HP! And 0-60 in 14.8 secs with a tail wind!! Would have killed to be able to get insured on a Z at that time! Our car insurance for sub 25 year olds is criminally expensive in the UK.

80011c81089924fa20d1bf17ee7b1da4.jpg

Hahah that car reminds me of my dad’s yugo. Broke down after 200 miles from the dealer! I consider myself very lucky. I’ve been saving for a while to get one although my dad wanted me to put the money into a new car. Comes at a surprise cause he bought one when he first came to this country (280z 2+2). Where I live these’s Z have become stupidly expensive. No offense to the s30’s but they aren’t worth the money that people are asking for in the condition they are. I know a lot of “clout chasers” (fame seekers) who want these cars because “they are cool.” It’s very typical what they do next: RB swap, wide body, fender mirrors, and etc etc. Not saying these builds aren’t cool (but jealous cause I don’t got daddy’s money) just never felt these guys actually care for the original car. At that point it doesn’t feel like a 240z to me anymore. I don’t know! Just my two cents. 

• Like 3

Progress: nothing. Engine won’t start. Getting spark. Probably float bowl issue. Set them at 16mm but might need to go 2 higher? Have a feeling the hoses might be bad too from the float bowl to the jet. Got some off zcardepot but I might’ve not cut them long enough. Anyone know where I can get replacements?

Progress: nothing. Engine won’t start.

When you say that, do you get petrol smells coming out of the back? Like a flooded engine?

Verified “Getting spark” on ALL 6?

Also with someone else cranking and you with a timing light, can you verify what it’s set to?

As for the Yugo, breaking down was a “design feature”! There was even a book written about them!

d4424763627fa9ecba1b70563745914f.jpg

The Yugo: The Rise and Fall of the Worst Car in History https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0809098954/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_D1SHC3WCVCW8CX7HWZST
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, AK260 said:

When you say that, do you get petrol smells coming out of the back? Like a flooded engine?

Also with someone else cranking and you with a timing light, can you verify what it’s set to?

As for the Yugo, breaking down was a “design feature”! There was even a book written about them!

The Yugo: The Rise and Fall of the Worst Car in History https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0809098954/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_D1SHC3WCVCW8CX7HWZST

Haven't noticed a smell. Pretty sure its the engine running out of fuel. Plus I know I messed up setting the floats to 16mm and not 12/14mm. IT did run at 1500rpm for a bit. Then rpm went down and started to die. When I tried to start it back on it had little moments where the engine tried to start but didn't. I have a single point distributor and I put it at 10-12 degrees A. I've tested all 6 plugs and changed the spark plugs for all 6 cylinders. 

6 hours ago, AK260 said:

As for the Yugo, I saw one at one of the junk yards around my area. If they would take 100$ I would've bought it.