IGNORED

Swap 4 speed 5 speed: which clutch kit?

Doesn’t matter whether 4 speed or 5 speed. You just need to match the clutch to the throw out collar. You can order a 240Z pressure plate and 240Z collar, or a 280Z pressure plate and 280Z collar. That simple.....don’t make it too complicated!

Edited by Diseazd

Like I said.....very simple. Call Motorsport....tell em you want a 240Z pressure plate and a 240Z collar.....it’ll work with your 5 speed. The pressure plate on the left is a 240Z pressure plate. The throw out bearings are the same.

Edited by Diseazd

........and the 240Z collar that goes with that 240Z clutch. Order from Motorsport.....they know Z’s and can talk you through it. 240 clutch disc, pressure plate, collar and throw out bearing and you’ll have a successful install.

Good Luck

Guy

Edited by Diseazd

Some people on this forum like these exedy clutches https://www.ebay.com/itm/EXEDY-CLUTCH-KIT-for-1970-1975-DATSUN-240Z-260Z-2-4L-2-6L-6CYL/154267177730?fits=Model%3A240Z|Make%3ADatsun&epid=15034364931&hash=item23eb0a5302:g:UssAAOSwHExbcgTx

You can locate some threads about them via the search functionality. I'm not sure if the linked kit has EVERYTHING, it looks close though. Can also use Courtesy Nissan https://www.courtesyparts.com/ to find smaller parts.

I need to swap mine out too, the clutch i have in there was an unknown one that i tossed in when assembling the drivetrain, I can feel it chatter after really hard driving. The flywheel was one of those things to do "while your down there", along with all the u-joints. ohhhhh the things i should have done when i had it all apart the first time. 😞

12 hours ago, heyitsrama said:

I can also vouch for that mod. It doesn't add any horsepower, but it certainly adds to the driving experience. I had mine reduced from 23lbs to around 16lbs.

4 speed or 5 speed doesn't make any difference what so ever. What is very important is pressure plate height and matching throw out bearing collar.

If you can't get a kit with a matching collar, take your collar with bearing still fitted and check the height. Simply, with pressure plate on the counter or workbench, put the throw out bearing on top of the pressure plate and measure the height from the workbench to the collar tabs for the clutch fork. It should measure about 92mm.

There seems to be the very odd excetion to this rule, but it is rare. If you don't get 92, you will need another collar.