IGNORED

Oil pump removal

Wally

57 minutes ago, Wally said:

Just got in new timing cover. Once the 4 bolts of oil pump are out does it and the spindle just slide apart? I dont want to force anything and break it off....

thanks

IMG_2057.jpg

Yes, once the 4 bolts are removed the pump drops right out.  If the cover is still on the engine, and the engine is upright, the spindle will fall out too.

When I have removed oil pumps with the engine still in the chassis, I found it helpful to pull the distributor, and clamp a needle nose vice grip on the distributor drive tang, so the spindle stays put.

You will find that assembling the new cover to the engine will be easier without the spindle and oil pump in place. Once you get the cover on, it will be a bit tricky to get the spindle in the correct position so the distributor will line up correctly.

Good luck.

Seems like I needed to remove the front torsion bar, or at least one side, and get it out of the way to drop or install with the motor in. Here again I did this. There may be a way I didn't see?

I agree with RacerX. It would be much easier to put the cover on without the pump. The way you have to time the spindle with the crank gear also. There's a trick Tom Monroe's book has that works for me. I'll post that in a little while when I can find it.

Edit: sway bar

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1

I took some pics with my phone. I can scan it for you tomorrow if this isn't readable. I'll put them in order with the finished position photo last.

Well that didn't work out like I'd hoped. Sorry, scanning would be better but I can't until tomorrow.

20210301_164635.jpg

20210301_164713.jpg

20210301_164745.jpg

20210301_165600.jpgspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by siteunseen

thanks. this looks over my pay grade...LOL. I looked into the ports and and not sure how to tell if its "closed" they all look about the same to me? would taking the valve cover or oil pan off to look help?

i assume cylinder 1 is the one frontmost toward radiator?

There's a lot of ways to TDC. You'll have to get the valve cover off which is no big deal and then the 1st 2 cam lobes should look like rabbit ears. That gets you in the ballpark. Then get #1 all the way up top, I use a piece of straw. Anyway it's tough the first time, it was for me but after you've done it and figured it out it gets easier. 

I'm using my phone tonight and can't get to my saved stuff. Here's some google threads you can read over. I can post more in the morning and find some good pictures.

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-americamovil-us-revc&ei=U4w9YNaXKoac5gKb9ZXYCw&q=tdc+classiczcars.com+&oq=tdc+classiczcars.com+&gs_lcp=ChNtb2JpbGUtZ3dzLXdpei1zZXJwEAMyBQghEKABMgUIIRCgATIFCCEQqwI6BAgAEEc6BggpEBYQHjoGCAAQFhAeOgIIKToICCkQsQMQkQI6BwgpEAoQoAE6CAgAEOoCEI8BOgUIKRCTAjoECAAQQzoFCAAQkQI6CwguELEDEMcBEKMCOggIABCxAxCDAToICC4QsQMQgwE6AggAOg4ILhCxAxCDARDHARCjAjoKCC4QxwEQrwEQQzoKCC4QsQMQgwEQQzoFCAAQsQM6BwgAELEDEEM6CggAELEDEIMBEEM6CAguEMcBEK8BOgQIABAKOggIABAWEAoQHlCiFVjaV2DIamgBcAF4A4ABpQKIAb4ekgEGMS4xMy43mAEAoAEBsAEeyAEIwAEB&sclient=mobile-gws-wiz-serp

2 hours ago, Wally said:

Ok, will try this out. You are a big help. Much appreciated

Good luck and let me know if you want me to scan that page if you can't read the pictures.

Another thing to remember when you work on anything that has even a chance at "timing" is get it at TDC before you do the work. I lock the cam down with some big ole vise-grips resting on the driver's side of the head when I fool with the distributor and oil pump.

I found an old thread where Madkaw tells a way without removing the cover. You might try his way 1st? Sounds easy but he's much more a mechanic than me.

TDC COMPRESSION STROKE!!!!!!

Pull #1 plug and shove a vacuum plug that just fits the hole in there. Turn over motor till that sucker shoots across the room- you found compression stroke . Now line everything up.

Steve
9/71 240Z   3.2 - N42/P90 Megasquirt EFI . 
3.90 Subaru STI LSD

47 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Good luck and let me know if you want me to scan that page if you can't read the pictures.

Another thing to remember when you work on anything that has even a chance at "timing" is get it at TDC before you do the work. I lock the cam down with some big ole vise-grips resting on the driver's side of the head when I fool with the distributor and oil pump.

I found an old thread where Madkaw tells a way without removing the cover. You might try his way 1st? Sounds easy but he's much more a mechanic than me.

TDC COMPRESSION STROKE!!!!!!

Pull #1 plug and shove a vacuum plug that just fits the hole in there. Turn over motor till that sucker shoots across the room- you found compression stroke . Now line everything up.

Steve
9/71 240Z   3.2 - N42/P90 Megasquirt EFI . 
3.90 Subaru STI LSD

I have used this method many times.  Not when building a new engine, but when working with oil pump or distributor.  I remove all 6 spark plugs then use a remote starter button/switch,  place my finger in #1 hole and when piston comes up on compression stroke you will feel it. Then I manually turn the engine over to move piston to the top of cylinder by watching it and the TDC timing mark. When the piston is at the top and TDC marks align you are where you need to be to insert pump or distributor.  No need to remove valve cover. Works for me!