IGNORED

5 speed tailshaft bushing in a 4 speed

DuckManNK

My first thought was yes, but the parts website doesn't show a bushing for the 5 speed.  Not sure why.

A leak would be the seal though, probably.  If the bushing is bad the slip yoke will have excessive play.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/power-train/transmission-case/4-speed/from-sep-71

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/power-train/transmission-case/5-speed

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

Any time I search for a bushing I only find one for the 5 speed
https://ampdistributing.com/collections/nissan-rwd-fs5w71/products/1977-up-nissan-datsun-5-speed-manual-transmission-extension-housing-bushing

This also coincides with a rebuild parts list someone shared with me here:

The bushing being near the bottom. Part number Nissan-62

Since it says 1977-up, and the 4 speed part shows discontinued, I'm going to guess that there is something different about them.

I'm pretty sure though that somewhere in past posts people have found a substitute bushing.  Worth some searching.

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/nissan-bushg-extrr~32132-78000.html

I spent a bit here searching key words like tail housing and bushing today. Only found threads talking about the 5 speed.

I've been searching for any info every now and then for the past 2 months. I ordered a 5 speed bushing late November. Called them today to find out the order was never sent.
I'm just going to give it a try once I get it. It pukes up way too much oil for it to be drivable either way. Might give up on the 4 speed I have and find something else to replace it.

2 hours ago, DuckManNK said:

I'm just going to give it a try once I get it. It pukes up way too much oil for it to be drivable either way. Might give up on the 4 speed I have and find something else to replace it.

Still not clear why you're looking at the bushing, for an oil leak.  There are actually grooves in some bushings to let oil pass by.  It's the seal that contains the oil.  You can replace the seal without removing the transmission.

Edited by Zed Head

57 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Still not clear why you're looking at the bushing, for an oil leak.  There are actually grooves in some bushings to let oil pass by.  It's the seal that contains the oil.  You can replace the seal without removing the transmission.

I've replaced the seal twice. Replaced the yoke because it was scored a bit.

• Like 1

Is the yoke loose in the bushing?  Maybe your tail housing is cracked.

Good luck.  Not really seeing a new bushing as a solution to your problem if the yoke isn't loose in the bushing.

What does this actually mean?

3 hours ago, DuckManNK said:

It pukes up way too much oil for it to be drivable either way.

Well, if you wanted to take advantage of a bunch of somewhat bored (COVID captive) people who can generate a bunch of ideas you might just describe more about what you're working on.  It's one reason the site is popular, from both sides of the situation.  We like a puzzle.  

Just seems like a "not the bushing' situation.  There are other things that leak back there that seem like the slip yoke seal but aren't. 

You still haven't said if the slip yoke is loose in the bushing. 

10 hours ago, DuckManNK said:

I've replaced the seal twice. Replaced the yoke because it was scored a bit.

Welcome here on this site,

Have you installed the right yoke .. there should be ZERO play on the driveshaft is you try to shift it from left to right..(and up and down..)

Also, i think you did'nt use the right seal (twice) on your gearbox outletshaft..   (as far i know you can use the seal from a 5 for a 4 speed gearbox.)

Again there should be NO play on the driveshaft it will leak oil after a short while, the new seal gets worn fast. 

And.. pictures can help..

19 hours ago, DuckManNK said:

Any time I search for a bushing I only find one for the 5 speed
https://ampdistributing.com/collections/nissan-rwd-fs5w71/products/1977-up-nissan-datsun-5-speed-manual-transmission-extension-housing-bushing

This also coincides with a rebuild parts list someone shared with me here:

The bushing being near the bottom. Part number Nissan-62

Hi DuckManNK,

The bush was replaceable it the 4 speed and had a slightly larger outside diameter iirc. The 5 speeds had a thinner bush and was no longer considered a replaceable item. Worn bush meant replace the rear extension housing.

The bush you are quoting is for the  later FS5W71C transmissions used in the later 4 cylinder Z series engines (Z22 & Z24 etc.) The transmission is a stubby version, meaning shorter rear extension housing and the propellor shaft is also shorter and some fitted with a two piece shaft and center bearing. This all reduces the stress and wear on this bush. The bush is therefore the same outer and inner diameter, but much shorter in length.

It will work, but it will wear out faster than the original FS5W71B 5 speed bush.

Search for Omega Machine Tool 71411. That bush is almost identical. The dimensions are the same, just slightly different lubrication groove.

https://sales.omegamachine.com/Nissan_FS5W71C_Extension_Housing_Bushing_p/71411.htm

It's also a lot cheaper than the Nis 62.