IGNORED

How to find original paint color for 240z

DC871F

9 hours ago, DC871F said:

I see what the issue is. I left out the word color in my post about "still calling it original". I would like to do it the original color so IT can be original as far as color.

Of course I wouldnt say it was the original paint, thats silly.

So if all traces of the original colour are gone  you're in the unique position to choose any of the Datsun colours for your year that you like and I don't think anyone would fault you for it.

1 hour ago, grannyknot said:

So if all traces of the original colour are gone  you're in the unique position to choose any of the Datsun colours for your year that you like

I wouldn't fault someone for saying "it's a Datsun color" or "it's an original color", but I would have a problem with someone saying "It's the original color" if they weren't sure.

Far fetched example... All the remnants of the original have been removed. There's really no way to tell what it was. And Datsun didn't keep any records, so there's no way to check old documents. Seems like nobody would be able to prove one way or another. You paint it in an original Datsun color and don't get lucky and happen to accidently hit the color it was when it originally left the factory. But so what... Nobody would ever know for sure.

Then you sell the car and a perspective buyer asks "Is it the original color?" You say "Yes." and the guy buys it.

Then a week later he's at a car show with his new purchase and someone recognizes the car as being his old Z car "he bought new back in the seventies". And pulls out the old dog eared photo of the car back then. Wearing a different color.

Far fetched? Of course.
Possible? Of course.
Fraud? Of course.

2 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I wouldn't fault someone for saying "it's a Datsun color" or "it's an original color", but I would have a problem with someone saying "It's the original color" if they weren't sure.

Far fetched example... All the remnants of the original have been removed. There's really no way to tell what it was. And Datsun didn't keep any records, so there's no way to check old documents. Seems like nobody would be able to prove one way or another. You paint it in an original Datsun color and don't get lucky and happen to accidently hit the color it was when it originally left the factory. But so what... Nobody would ever know for sure.

Then you sell the car and a perspective buyer asks "Is it the original color?" You say "Yes." and the guy buys it.

Then a week later he's at a car show with his new purchase and someone recognizes the car as being his old Z car "he bought new back in the seventies". And pulls out the old dog eared photo of the car back then. Wearing a different color.

Far fetched? Of course.
Possible? Of course.
Fraud? Of course.

I'll just pick the rarest color and interior combo and bill it as that, what could go wrong?

Honestly though, if the car is restored, new paint, interior, are put into a certain category to begin with. Originality is out the window.