IGNORED

A little help with my first 280z

Blubber

So I am completely new to this platform and am pick up a 280z tomorrow morning it is a little worse for wear it has been sitting for a long time in Arizona thankfully so rust is actually pretty minimal. But long story short the previous owner doesn't have the key and it is a Automatic transmission so I was wondering if anyone knew if there is a switch by the gear changer to pop it into neutral like most cars? Also the steering wheel is probably gonna lock up right? I am just basically trying to get it on to the trailer to get it home. Sorry also pretty new to cars this old.

@Blubber I don’t know either that’s why I was asking, in the past I’ve used small metal dollies to roll cars around got it at harbor freight, if you look at the FSM for the ignition switch you can see how it mounts up to the column. I’m not sure if there is a release for the gearbox, I was not able to see anything in the FSM but I gave it a skim. dollys might be the easiest way to do this. 

Here's some stuff on the steering lock.  Can't remember exactly how it works but you will need this anyway if you don't have the key code.  You'll need some tools to shave off the head of the tiny screw that holds the ignition cylinder on.

If you have time though and the car still has the key code on the sticker inside the glove box (and the glove box is unlocked), you could take the code to a locksmith and have a key made.  All they need is the key code.  If you get it on the trailer this is a better way to get a key made anyway.  One key should work on everything.

image.png

Last thing - many of us have found that any Nissan key will operate the ignition on our Z's.  They wear out fast and get loose.  I could start my 76 with my 1995 Pathfinder key.  So if you have some Nissan keys, or the guy selling the car does, give them a try.

• Like 2

The S30 Z transmission shifter does not have any type of interlocking mechanism. Press the button with your thumb, and move the lever to neutral.

As for the ignition key, yes there is a steering column lock, and without a key you cannot turn the steering wheel. But like the others have mentioned, get the key code from the glovebox decal, and have a key made. You could also have a locksmith come to where the car is, and he could make a key for you.