Jump to content
Z with a Z

Bellhousing compatibility

Recommended Posts

Hi, I’ve been slowly working on restoring a 77 280,  it has the 5 speed with a hole in the bell housing, I found an early 4 speed from a 70-71 for a decent price locally. I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than me can tell me if the 4 speed bell housing would fit the 5 speed before I spend the money.  Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not if it is a 70-71 4 speed.  Is there a picture?  The early 4 speeds had the shift lever that hangs off the back of the transmission.  Like the image below.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/power-train/transmission-case

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/power-train/transmission-control

image.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The shifter may interfere with you trans tunnel and console. It does when you go the other way and add a 5 speed to an early car. 
 

ps 4 speeds out here have little or no valve. 
 

Edited by 7tooZ
Added ps

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, 7tooZ said:

The shifter may interfere with you trans tunnel and console. It does when you go the other way and add a 5 speed to an early car. 
 

ps 4 speeds out here have little or no valve. 
 

I think that he wants to use the bellhousing only.  Sounded like it has a hole in the front case.

2 hours ago, Z with a Z said:

 it has the 5 speed with a hole in the bell housing

Note to Z with a Z, these cars combine the bellhousing with the front case in the later years.  So no separate bellhousing like a Chevy might have.

Edited by Zed Head

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

I think that he wants to use the bellhousing only.  Sounded like it has a hole in the front 

Correct! From what I can tell the bell housing in mine can be separated there appears to be like a spacer or something between it and the back part of the trans, I wouldn’t be messing with the half with the shifter on it, the dark lit photos are my trans, the shot of the whole one is the 4 speed. Thanks for the replies!

31B24D6A-50B3-49F3-99D2-44FAB743115D.jpeg

FE6B3AE4-5730-4EC9-8549-D44DC96E779D.jpeg

B0D5CAC5-DD12-4902-8414-D830091D8FA9.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

Note to Z with a Z, these cars combine the bellhousing with the front case in the later years.  So no separate bellhousing like a Chevy might have.

Wow never mind i misunderstood what you meant by, the bell housing being one unit, it doesn’t look like it’s going to fit, thanks for the help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Z with a Z said:

Hi, I’ve been slowly working on restoring a 77 280,  it has the 5 speed with a hole in the bell housing, I found an early 4 speed from a 70-71 for a decent price locally. I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than me can tell me if the 4 speed bell housing would fit the 5 speed before I spend the money.  Thanks! 

Can you show us a picture of the hole?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.