IGNORED

Bellhousing compatibility

Z with a Z

Hi, I’ve been slowly working on restoring a 77 280,  it has the 5 speed with a hole in the bell housing, I found an early 4 speed from a 70-71 for a decent price locally. I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than me can tell me if the 4 speed bell housing would fit the 5 speed before I spend the money.  Thanks! 

Not if it is a 70-71 4 speed.  Is there a picture?  The early 4 speeds had the shift lever that hangs off the back of the transmission.  Like the image below.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/power-train/transmission-case

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/power-train/transmission-control

image.png

14 minutes ago, 7tooZ said:

The shifter may interfere with you trans tunnel and console. It does when you go the other way and add a 5 speed to an early car. 

ps 4 speeds out here have little or no valve. 

I think that he wants to use the bellhousing only.  Sounded like it has a hole in the front case.

2 hours ago, Z with a Z said:

it has the 5 speed with a hole in the bell housing

Note to Z with a Z, these cars combine the bellhousing with the front case in the later years.  So no separate bellhousing like a Chevy might have.

Edited by Zed Head

54 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

I think that he wants to use the bellhousing only.  Sounded like it has a hole in the front 

Correct! From what I can tell the bell housing in mine can be separated there appears to be like a spacer or something between it and the back part of the trans, I wouldn’t be messing with the half with the shifter on it, the dark lit photos are my trans, the shot of the whole one is the 4 speed. Thanks for the replies!

31B24D6A-50B3-49F3-99D2-44FAB743115D.jpeg

FE6B3AE4-5730-4EC9-8549-D44DC96E779D.jpeg

B0D5CAC5-DD12-4902-8414-D830091D8FA9.jpeg

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

Note to Z with a Z, these cars combine the bellhousing with the front case in the later years.  So no separate bellhousing like a Chevy might have.

Wow never mind i misunderstood what you meant by, the bell housing being one unit, it doesn’t look like it’s going to fit, thanks for the help

4 hours ago, Z with a Z said:

Hi, I’ve been slowly working on restoring a 77 280,  it has the 5 speed with a hole in the bell housing, I found an early 4 speed from a 70-71 for a decent price locally. I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than me can tell me if the 4 speed bell housing would fit the 5 speed before I spend the money.  Thanks! 

Can you show us a picture of the hole?