IGNORED

Cars Wanted: Wanted: '76 280Z in 305 blue over black int

Martino

Wanted: '76 280Z in 305 blue over black int

I'm looking for a 1976 280Z in 305 blue with black interior.  

Prefer the following:

• All stock (or nearly stock)
  • Original 305 light blue metallic paint
  • Black interior with original seats
  • Accident free history
  • Rust free or very very little body and frame rust
  • Crack free dash (no dash covers)
  • Below 70K miles
  • 2 seats only
  • Standard tranny
  • May consider a 75, 77 or 78.  

Pricing commensurate with specs and the cars overall condition.  I'm not looking for a show queen because I will drive it on nice days.  I can do mechanical and electrical work but not body work.  It would be nice if I could drive it back to upstate New York without issue as opposed to having it shipped.  I realize this may be a tough order to fill but this is my preference, lets see what you have.  I'm ready to buy the right car now.  The pic I posted is a '76 280 I bought new in '76 in Pittsburgh, growing family forced its sale, shrunken family now requests another :-)

• Advertiser
    Martino
  • Date
    11/09/2020
  • Price
  • Category
  • Year
  • Model
    280Z

Edited by Martino

Right, I follow BaT and even though the seller says they believe the sunroof was dealer installed, I passed it up.  Not big on sunroofs to begin with and would rather have the Z in stock config.  If not completely stock, then as close to it as I can get.  I have seen a few where there were suspension upgrades, diff exhaust and some replacement parts were replaced with upgraded parts, like the radiator, etc but many of those were beauty queens that are out of my price range or they were not 305 blue.  It would be great to find one so I could start going over it during the winter and ordering replacement parts before spring but such is life and I'm picky :-(

I don't have a set price range, will depend on how close the car is to what I would like, though I suppose in the end, I will have a max no matter what but I have not wrestled with that as yet.  Its a give-n-take thing where there might be something I don't really want but there could be an overwhelming aspect of it to support me buying it and changing the thing I didn't want.  I saw one the other day in the marketplace that at first looked great till I got to the last couple pix and saw a V8 in the engine bay and some that have looked great at first ended up being automatics.   There have already been a couple I've missed, I'm sure there's more out there.

Its good to have a list of criteria that you are looking for, but unless you stumble upon another barn find, there seems to be less of these "original gems" available. Considering the habit of these cars rusting on the boat ride over the ocean to start with, most have at least some cancer after 40 years. Having said that, at least people know what you want and can offer their vehicles based on those targets.

Good luck with your search!

I followed the link from @wal280zto @brunodoggy's car and read through all the pages of posts and then watched Larry Kosilla detail it.  Funny, I happened upon Larry's site a few years ago when looking for better ways of detailing and working with paint, I was a believer and got hooked ever since and can attest to his methods first hand as I've had very good success myself.  Great story with that '76 280Z and yes, it ticks all the boxes of what I'm looking for.  I'm a believer that there is always one out there, you miss one and another pops up if you have your radar on and with a bit of luck....and patience :-)

However, while I do watch the auctions, I find it very hard to buy sight unseen and I don't especially like the auction format.    If I were brunodoggy, I would keep it and drive it and take pleasure in what I had and what I made of it while knowing its a rare one.  It would mean more to me than the money I'd have by selling it.