IGNORED

Restoration of HLS30-12070

CW240Z72

3 hours ago, CW240Z72 said:

Sound mat was installed in all the factory places prior to paint (including the floor pans). Firewall will get the fiber backed pad installed on it 

Floors before paint 

FBD2C078-58A3-48D4-B0F9-F05E223A7284.jpeg

Just beautiful. I take it this will be a restoration to bone stock?

Edited by DC871F

• 2 weeks later...

I hope everyone had a nice and safe holiday break these past few days. During that time we worked on the body in preparation for paint. Passenger quarter and fender received the first round of body work and primer. Driver’s side soon to follow. 

C94EF183-AE47-4B28-A751-F4509361D5D5.jpeg

7EC6F93E-FC46-4BDD-86C4-B9AF99AA7A0A.jpeg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The quality of work you are doing is fantastic, it's a pleasure watch but the brake lines really stand out as not up to the same level as the rest of your work.  Sheet metal ViseGrips wrapped in a few layers of masking or electrical tape will make a big difference in their appearance.

I don't mean to criticize but just thought I would mention an easy fix.

IMG_0772.JPG

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

The quality of work you are doing is fantastic, it's a pleasure watch but the brake lines really stand out as not up to the same level as the rest of your work.  Sheet metal ViseGrips wrapped in a few layers of masking or electrical tape will make a big difference in their appearance.

I don't mean to criticize but just thought I would mention an easy fix.

IMG_0772.JPG

Great idea, I appreciate the tip. That’s one reason why I like having this restoration thread. People can provide ways to improve the build process along the way, and it also keeps me accountable for posting updates. 

I’ve got a set of vise grips like that I can use. The shot looking down the trans tunnel only had the lines fastened down up to the shifter cutout. The rest of the length was free hanging and in twist. Since then they’re all installed, but have a few irregularities in the lines I can fix. Will be working on that next. 

• Like 3

Few additional pictures of updates made on the Z. 

We blacked out the core support and grill mounting tabs (thanks to @jfa.series1 for his excellent build for references) and installed the condenser mounting brackets built just for this car. Really like how that turned out. Should all disappear behind the grill and keep the AC system eye sore down to a minimum. 

IMG_0277.jpg

The Z Therapy carbs also showed up this week. Another excellent job by Bruce on these. 

IMG_0269.jpg

And finally the hand brake and differential strap were installed. Thanks to @grannyknot I can straighten them out even more. 

IMG_0270.jpg

Edited by CW240Z72
  • Like 4

This car is incredible!!! Just when I see a restoration that I think can’t get any better than that, one gets better than that. I love silver Z’s. My first Z was a 1970 in silver with a black interior. The only thing that worries me is that it’s gonna be too nice to drive.  Congratulations on a beautiful restoration!!!!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Diseazd said:

The only thing that worries me is that it’s gonna be too nice to drive.

I'm a firm believer no matter the restoration, cars arent meant to sit. I always can fix rock chips etc. But you bring up  good point. When I started messing with Z's 30+ years ago, who would have ever thought these cars would be valued like they are today.

I'm doing a rotisserie job on my 73, and never thought that I wouldnt use it regularly, and I still plan to, but if the car is worth several thousand dollars after restoration, at what point do you not worry about a paint chip, but being a target for theft just because the internet says an old cheaply made Japanese sports car is worth $xxxxxxx. I know "D" hubcaps arent 73 correct, but I plan to run them, and now I'm concerned about that, just because how expensive they are getting, I mean you just pop em off with a finger.

Edited by DC871F

Thank you @Diseazd. I have always admired your Z car collection, fantastic line up. May have my wires crossed, but is your (maybe?) son building up a NA RB Z31? Kinda in a Safari Gold color? 

To me sitting is the worst thing someone can do to a car, but I agree, when you put a lot of time, effort, and $$$ in something it's hard to drive it without cringing about the wear and tear it'll inevitably get. At the rate these Z cars are going in the eyes of collectors, maybe it's not a bad thing to have both your driver's cars and minty showroom examples to admire.  

My '72 will be on the other side of the spectrum as this Z. RB25 running off of just about everything Haltech has to offer. It's a clean bodied Z but one I don't have to dodge water puddles in. 

Yep, the NA RB Z31 is my son Brandon’s car. I can’t wait to see your finished product. These Z cars are so cool......drive it on dry days....enjoy it. What I’ve found out is the perfect restos don’t bring the really big money anyway......the original cars do. But, I don’t restore these cars for the money, just hooked on the Marque. I expect you are too. Great restoration....nice color combo!!!

• Like 2