IGNORED

Restoration of HLS30-12070

CW240Z72

10 hours ago, CW240Z72 said:

Transmission rebuild complete. Shooting to have this and the engine installed for good in the next few weeks.

Nice... I spy a reverse idler gear that looks like it has no wear.  Did you end up replacing anything besides bearings, thrust washers, or seals?

1 hour ago, inline6 said:

Nice... I spy a reverse idler gear that looks like it has no wear.  Did you end up replacing anything besides bearings, thrust washers, or seals?

Everything laid out in the breakdown photo was the extent of what was replaced. The transmission only has 75K on it, so I don’t believe we “needed” to do this. Splitting it apart made cleaning it up easier too. I couldn’t bring myself to just power washing it and throwing on a quick coat of paint. 

17 minutes ago, Yarb said:

Where did you find replacement joints for the shaft?

Z Car Depot has them. They’re GMB parts that they mark up and sell. 

https://zcardepot.com/products/driveshaft-u-joint-propeller-shaft-240z-260z?variant=18837948760177&currency=USD&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google+shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAv6yCBhCLARIsABqJTjbPKMYKOiMLx8tTEil8DskMmfv6qRuBnEM0fOi7RLGVl4lwklBmUrMaAqLnEALw_wcB

The GMB part number is 220-0027 if you want to source them elsewhere for much cheaper. 

While waiting to get the flywheel back from resurfacing, the heater core was next to reassemble. The core itself was sent off and rebuilt, the housing media blasted and painted, new seals, foam, OEM valve, and the blower motor updated to a Kia Sportage unit for improved air flow. I’ll follow up with the completed assembly.

DD7486A5-4563-4EA3-B8AF-F0ABC5B28DDE.jpeg

6D8BAB18-9BF6-4AEE-8C84-F64BBEE623CA.jpeg

2EE6DF2C-5DF0-4213-8CD1-3F58F9E4BA2F.jpeg

F4DE1592-1F8C-4DA9-B83B-1CF2FACD84F6.jpeg

• Like 2

That is a job very well done.  Couple of questions if you don't mind?  What is the 24271-2P010?  Does that part number correspond to the dark piece of thin foam?  Did you reuse the original vinyl on the flap door?  The hardware... is original and re-plated?  Did you lose any when you had them re-plated?  I am concerned about losing smaller stuff like those sheet metal screws when I send mine off to get re-plated. 

When I took my heater core assembly apart, I saw evidence of some foam which was originally glued to the sides of the heater core.  It was only about half as tall as my replacements in these pics, but you might want to add that to block off the air gap between the core and the sides of the box, if you didn't already do that.

IMG_20190210_175819.jpg  IMG_20190210_180403.jpg

5 minutes ago, inline6 said:

That is a job very well done.  Couple of questions if you don't mind?  What is the 24271-2P010?  Does that part number correspond to the dark piece of thin foam?  Did you reuse the original vinyl on the flap door?  The hardware... is original and re-plated?  Did you lose any when you had them re-plated?  I am concerned about losing smaller stuff like those sheet metal screws when I send mine off to get re-plated. 

When I took my heater core assembly apart, I saw evidence of some foam which was originally glued to the sides of the heater core.  It was only about half as tall as my replacements in these pics, but you might want to add that to block off the air gap between the core and the sides of the box, if you didn't already do that.

IMG_20190210_175819.jpg  IMG_20190210_180403.jpg

Thanks! 24271-2P010 were adhesive foam pads I had purchased in a big bulk of OEM parts few years ago. They just so happened to work perfectly as replacement pads on the flap doors. 

All the hardware was stripped down and replated. Yes, when you send out as much as I did there will be a few pieces that never make it back home. I inventoried everything removed on a spreadsheet I could reference. Most of the standard bolts and screws can be purchased in bulk to restock missing pieces. 

On the foam around the heater core, I had a piece similar to what you’re showing, but on the backside of the unit, the face opposite of the inlet/outlet tubes. On the front side were only two foam squares around the tubes. I like how you did that. I might pop the side off again and add more to further restrain the core from movement. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lot of not so glamours work has been done on the Z lately. One task just about complete some might appreciate, restoring the fuel tank. 

Tank was boiled out and sealed, followed by many hours of body work to get the underside as smooth as possible. Finished out with a new sending unit, powder coated straps, new rubber liners, hoses, and replated hardware. 
EF543606-5D95-47D0-A106-C33A953D89D5.jpeg

D376A2B9-16AE-43EC-9542-07D52F815232.jpeg

C98CB5A5-53A0-4940-ABC9-FBD9428F85E7.jpeg

• Like 2