IGNORED

Rear Axle Grease Catcher - Needed for Disc Conversion?

Jarvo2

While pulling the axles out of my '72 240z I noticed that the Grease Catcher (#56 below) was damaged, most likely by the bad bearings that were in there or a prior service by a former owner.  I'm converting to Disc Brakes and am questioning if I truly need the piece as its no longer available and its too far damaged to bend it back into shape.  Based on the image it appears that the grease catcher is used to prevent grease from entering the inside of the brake drum.  Does anyone run their rear axles without the grease catcher?

S30-091-01.JPG

The grease rarely migrates anywhere. By design, it stays put. I love to make fun of people who fill the front spindle caps with grease to keep the bearings safe. What, there are little men with little shovels in there that will monitor the bearing grease and toss some at the bearing if they get a little dry? This isn’t a coal fed steam locomotive. 

More likely its to prevent outside dust and crap from getting into the seal area. 

It is not required. Maybe if you rally in the dirt a lot...

Edited by zKars

That cover really protects the grease seal on the inner wheel bearing from grit or sand that may find its way into the drum , if the seal fails it also will protect the drums from grease for a while.  I have a few of those gathering dust, I'll send you one if you pay for the shipping.

Thank you!! That would be great if you can send me one, happy to pay a fair price and shipping. I’ll send a personal message with my email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, grannyknot said:

@Jarvo2, Dave, I mailed it this morning, should be 7-10 days. It was only $3.00 so don't worry about it.

Cheers

Thanks for your help!  I'll make sure that I "pay it forward" with others who may need some of the old bits that I've collected over the years.

On 9/18/2020 at 9:40 PM, zKars said:

The grease rarely migrates anywhere. By design, it stays put. I love to make fun of people who fill the front spindle caps with grease to keep the bearings safe. What, there are little men with little shovels in there that will monitor the bearing grease and toss some at the bearing if they get a little dry? This isn’t a coal fed steam locomotive. 

More likely its to prevent outside dust and crap from getting into the seal area. 

It is not required. Maybe if you rally in the dirt a lot...

I swore I saw the little man in the parts diagram.